Second presidential debate to be virtual; Trump says he won't turn up

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/08/second-presidential-debate-to-be-virtual-trump-says-he-wont-turn-up.html

12 Likes

I suggest dressing up a pumpkin in a wig. It would raise the level of discourse considerably anyway. Republicans might find themselves tempted to cast write-in votes for the pumpkin.

The show must go on!

46 Likes

Trump is likely in no fit state to debate anyway

I mean, that hasn’t stopped him in the past. Ever.

38 Likes

A petulant child takes his ball and goes home.

Waaaaaaaaa…

ETA

Takes his ball to a rally and infects hundreds more…

32 Likes

When accused of acting like a baby, being incapable of winning, or being a killjoy whose absence would be better for everyone, the petulant child suddenly wants to play again… :roll_eyes:

26 Likes

Indeed, the day is young.

15 Likes

For a campaign and a candidate that claimed to be media/social media savvy in the current and past election cycles, he was quite quick to chicken out of a high definition zoom call.

20 Likes

Chronic respiratory issues have their downside and all, but they’re a great way to get someone to shut up and listen for an hour or so. I can see why Trump’s not into it.

17 Likes

Might not be chicken, might be too sick to be seen at all.

8 Likes

debate to be virtual; Trump says he won’t turn up.

That is surely the point of a virtual debate?

31 Likes

I’m fine with this, it basically gives Biden his own TV Special.

21 Likes

In case they should get an old NTSC colour TV possibly with woodgrain finis and display Max Headroom episodes…

Bonus point to use a VAX computer as a pedestal.

25 Likes

It’s like when a football team doesn’t show up. 3-0 win to the other team.

11 Likes

That might not work out so well. Best thing for Biden is to let Trump talk.

20 Likes

I have the same concern and Biden will have more gaffes or unable to clearly outline his policies. He’ll be grilled and his opponent will essentially be the moderator. The GOP will have so much content to use in their campaign.

9 Likes

Probably true, but even if he wasn’t sick a virtual debate wouldn’t suit his style of interrupting and bullying.

10 Likes

Heck no. Giving those guys any attention and legitimacy is a bad idea.

25 Likes

You cannot even go there. After Donald Trump, you cannot even say the word gaffe. Nope. Done. It’s gone. Over. So over.

14 Likes

My thoughts:

There’s only one person on the screen at a time so he can’t interrupt and bully.

The moderator has the ability to actually enforce time limits.

45 still has Covid. You don’t go from symptomatic to a robust, healthy, obese, 74 y/o in a few days. He probably looks and acts like someone who has Covid and is on some mind-altering steroids. You can somewhat hide behind your twitter account, but you can’t have an intellectually complex, lengthy, blood-pressure-raising event without people noticing you’re unfit for office and you’re off the f’ing rails.

22 Likes

Even if Nostradumbass is fit, the format does not work for him. Being virtual means they can literally cut him off and he can’t do his schtick.

14 Likes