My money is on Trump weaseling out of these Presidential debates

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/15/my-money-is-on-trump-weaseling-out-of-these-presidential-debates.html

13 Likes

I wonder if the prison warden will let Trump out to attend the debates.

30 Likes

He can use the prison-provided tablets to remote in at $500/minute, or whatever usurious rates the prison contractor charges.

31 Likes

It will definitely help with debate moderation if they can just turn off the phone Trump has to speak into from his side of the visiting room window until Biden is done speaking.

31 Likes

my humble wager is on: trump-land will insist on setting too many parameters of any debate. oh, like choosing the moderators so trump can shout endlessly and never be controlled into any sort of sane debate form. Biden will wisely not accept that, to which trump will declare Biden is the chicken. and so it goes.

22 Likes

I am sure Biden can visit Trump in Prison for the debate.

12 Likes

I am reminded of Stephen King’s description of playing cribbage with a lunatic: the cards go everywhere and you end up pegging backwards. Trump simply cannot be held to the rules required for an actual debate. He just wants an open mic and no constraints.

19 Likes

If it goes anything like virtual depositions and hearings I have attended I would expect a lot of this from Trump:

“Is this thing on?”
“Can they see me?”
“Why is everything frozen?”
“I got kicked out. What was the password for the meeting?”

13 Likes

Mine too, but I can’t find anyone to take the bet.

5 Likes

It would be nice if they actually moderated them. Mute the non-speaker, cut them off after time, etc.

I mean, have the diligence of a high school debate team at least.

18 Likes

it’s a sucker bet.

5 Likes

In the unlikely event they confront each other will Trumps minions finally be forced to to use the word “former” or will this be like matter/antimatter meeting? Poof. That I’d pay to see.

5 Likes

Cat Meme GIF by GIPHY News

19 Likes

Nailed it!

5 Likes

■■■■■’s only tactic will be gish-galloping nonsense until Biden stumbles or stutters and then counting on everyone to stop listening.

These debates won’t change or crystallize anybody’s votes.

It doesn’t matter if ■■■■■ “wins” the debate with policy or ideas, but the only goal will be to dominate. I’m not sure how Biden can counter this and the debate is not a proper forum to do this:

10 Likes

images

36 Likes

In Biden’s shoes, I might agree to not having the mic cut-off. And then when it’s my turn to speak, put on noise-cancelling headphones that can only hear the moderator.

This would have the added benefit of absolutely freaking Trump out and enraging his inner narcissist at being completely and successfully ignored.

…of course in actuality that would look unpresidential. But I can dream about how much that would foil Trump’s vile need to add toxicity.

3 Likes

These debates will change independents’ and moderates votes’. And thin wedge that they are, they are vital for winning swing states and thus vital for the presidency.

I remain amazed that there are people who haven’t made up their minds yet. But they do exist, and they play an outsized role because of it in every single national election.

10 Likes

Wear sunglasses when you do that, and use Apple AirPods Pro.

Really, we need to see Joe wearing his aviators more.

As far as the debates go, assuming Loser Donnie shows up, I’d go for a seated debate instead of podiums, see if Loser can stay awake if he’s forced to remain seated all the time.

8 Likes

Biden should very publicly advertise that he is offering two debates at a time convenient for Trump not to be involved in one of his various criminal trial court dates this summer. The point should be hammered home again and again.

8 Likes