See Spiderman in the new Captain America: Civil War trailer

That seems a little too black & white.

Firearms are designed specifically to harm others. To kill - as opposed to tasers and mace. Very few super powers are focused on causing harm. Most aren’t at all. You can use them creatively to harm, but as Iron Man shows, anyone can do the same using power equipment.

Take away the firearm, and you’re still the same person. You have the choice to simply not own it, and to not register. This would apply to Iron Man, but not someone born with super powers. You’d be forcing them to register WITHOUT any such choice. (And there’s the grey area of someone who got their powers through actions beyond their control, like being bitten by a radioactive Trump supporter.)

And would anyone without super powers - just martial arts, bows and arrows, or a bat-themed unitard and car be forced to register?

3 Likes

It’s not a morally unambiguous decision but in a world where people can explode like warheads it makes no sense not to find these people and at the very least train them to use their abilities productively or not at all.

Some powered people might be unintentionally dangerous to themselves or to others and may need medical help or advanced prosthesis (like Scott Summers for example) to cope.

1 Like

I disagree, most aren’t from random meteor strikes but scientific experimentation (which means they’re either smart as all get out or at least interested in science to be in the lab, Hulk, Captain America, Spiderman, Iron Man, Fantastic 4) or handed powers by higher forces who are looking for the good in people (Green Lantern, Shazam). Batman is pretty much your everyman just working hard for it and, lets face it, he would have a lot less to do if he spent his billions wisely instead of going after purse snatchers.

Even the super smart bad guys are incredibly limited in scope or quantity compared to the good people that have powers. In the world of comics most fall into the morally good sector by far.

2 Likes

One is a list of current location, the other is to record who owns them. I’m just not clear which is which.

1 Like

It’s because Peter Parker is a super genius with amazing superpowers from a struggling lower middle class family, who, after getting his uncle killed by trying to make money as a wrestler, decides to invent a powerful adhesive webbing material that he doesn’t monetize, and after that also invents a solution to make his masked eyes highly expressive because when you are beating people up they appreciate it if your eyes are expressive.

basically when I say super genius I’m thinking of a world sort of like idiocracy.

1 Like

Real from 1977 and on youtube…

4 Likes

As others have stated there is a difference to registering property vs registering a person. Though one can argue we do that already with SSN’s. right?

The heart of Civil War is really more than what is shown in the trailers. The mutant/super power registration act was not just about a registry, it was also about limiting and restricting the freedoms of those with powers in the Marvel U. Cap saw this as a very distinct comparison to Nazi Germany’s socio-political policies.

Cap is right on this argument. People are not property. Though, I can agree with the notion of “sanctioned” vs “non-sanctioned” activity. Avengers are a government sanctioned super powered team; as such they are not personally liable for damage they cause to people or property. The government is on the hook for it, and by extension the tax payers. The X-Men are a private entity and as such can be held personally responsible for damages. Are they criminals? not exactly. If I lose control of my car and it careens into someone’s house, it doesn’t mean I am a criminal or criminal charges can be filed…it could have been weather related, a malfunction, etc. But I would still be liable for the damages I caused.

4 Likes

The comics are pretty clear about differentiating between a regular martial artist and a martial artist who is a vigilante. The comics actually depicted people attempting to register and being turned away for being mundane. Howard The Duck was turned away despite being an alien duck because he’s still basically a duck (albeit a duck who is a master of Quack Fu).

As to design and intent: TNT was designed to clear rocks and dig shafts. It should be regulated because it can easily kill people by accident or on purpose.

1 Like

That must be why there are so few villains.

♫ Spider-man, spider-man
Sews a suit like no one can
Cuts to just the perfect size
Somehow sees through opaque eyes
Watch out, here comes Spider-maaan ♫

14 Likes

The SHRA in the comics was a lot more oppressive than anything I’d imagine doing. But some things I think they got right:

Attempting to rehabilitate supervillains by giving them training, counselling and decent jobs working for the benefit of society.

Helping those with little control over their powers to either learn to control them or to use power dampeners to negate them.

There really are though. Spidey fights off what, one a week or so in addition to school and his part time job? He’s a busy kid, sure, but it’s not like he has to drop out of school for it.

The main issue with superheroes is that they’re willing to just let the bad guys get away at the end of the fight or not restrain them well enough themselves. Plus, comics.

Is it just me or is this the same plot as Avengers 2?

They’ve kind of been going through this in Agents of Shield lately, but it doesn’t appear that Movie MCU pays any attention to TV MCU:

It does not and I’ve kind of stopped watching AoS as a result. It’s this other thing in its own universe and I just don’t care about the characters enough, it’s probably 9 episodes of television stretched out to 13 and it’s started to drag out a little too much.

Season 1 was a lot of stalling. Season 2 on is much more interesting to me. My wife has a similar problem caring about the characters.
Season 1 of Agent Carter is very good, but I haven’t seen season 2 yet.
I haven’t seen any of the Netflix shows yet, but I’ve heard good things about them.

In my recollection, not so much a show as a series of ultra-low-budget made-for-TV movies.

My brother and I were both full-on “web-heads” and so felt obligated to watch them all, though we hated them because this version of Spider-Man never spoke while in costume. Totally misunderstood the character.

Those of my age might remember the weirdly mute Spidey who would cameo on “The Electric Company” sometimes? Same character concept.

2 Likes

I enjoyed Daredevil a lot more than Jessica Jones. But I still feel like AoS is working too hard to keep the actor who plays Grant Ward around. Ever since the fall of Hydra and shield having to go into hiding by flying a giant black plane with their logo on it I want to give a damn about these people but they’re just so distant and always keeping secrets from each other that it’s hard.

1 Like

Tony Stark apparently provides Spidey with an upgraded, higher-tech suit in this one…

1 Like

italian Spiderman is well worth the investment of time. danger 5 imho suffers a little from it’s own success/officialness. It’s really fun but a smidge too polished

1 Like