See Spiderman in the new Captain America: Civil War trailer

Superpowers (typically, in-character) aren’t designed. And they aren’t something you just go out and acquire, either.

A lot of them are more like having a skill. Trying to register them would be like requiring that any martial artist who can break boards, etc be found and registered…

How would one go about making the case that, for example, Daredevil should be regulated based solely on his powers?

1 Like

Depends. If your “superpower” is a high-tech suit that’s effectively a flying nuclear-powered weapons platform then yes, that shit should be registered and regulated just like any other dangerous weapon.

But if your superpower is an inherent attribute of your own body (i.e. X-men) then it becomes a major civil rights/personal privacy issue.

On the other hand regulating vigilantes seems like a good idea whether their preferred method of crimefighting is a gun or a robotic exoskeleton or laser-vision or wicked Kung-Fu skills.

4 Likes

I’ve watched this 5 or 6 times and Spidey makes me smile every time. His voice. His eyes. His attitude. These are child hood dreams right here! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Not often you get such blatant product promotion in a trailer…or is there some other reason Tony yells out “Underoos!” to introduce Spidey?

1 Like

Not sure if joking.

1 Like

whaddya talking about @pesco, this was the best Spidey of all time:

6 Likes

[quote=“TobinL, post:26, topic:74870, full:true”]
Real from 1977 and on youtube…[/quote]
1977 - that explains it. I was off in college and my TV watching was pared down to Doctor Who and to Monty Python reruns. The video posted above says 1970, which confused me. Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Oh well yeah that would Italian Spiderman which really isn’t 1970

Isn’t it Captain Kangaroo?

5 Likes

Hands off the exoskeletons!

After all, doesn’t the ability to construct and operate one count as a superpower of sort? Why a superpower should be limited to only those biologically mediated?

Whether an energy blast comes from an ancient artifact, a god spell, a gene, or an arc reactor powered glove, I don’t see much of a difference.

Icy stairs or a soapy bathroom floor can do the same to you. Domestic accidents are actually a quite statistically important cause of death/injury.

Register cold weather!

I have to side with Cap here despite liking IM more.

1 Like

I don’t know about South America, but as others have noticed, his uniform suggests he’s really Captain Puerto Rico.

10 Likes

4 Likes

This is a good time to remember that Tony Stark makes all his own enemies. Literally. In the Marvel films he has yet to face a single adversary that he didn’t directly or indirectly equip, provide the technology to create, or just plain build from scratch. If Tony Stark had died as a teenager most of the MCU’s villains never would have gotten off the drawing board.

At least this time he’ll be facing off against an adversary who was equipped by Stark’s dad, just to mix things up.

1 Like

Loki…

3 Likes

And how did Loki open up that giant wormhole to let in the alien invasion again? Oh yeah. Stark technology.

Take out Tony, and Loki is just an emo magician with a hypno-stick. Take out Tony’s dad, and the tesseract (which created the portal allowing Loki to come to earth) never would have been recovered from the bottom of the ocean.

1 Like

Er? No?

He stole the materials in Germany and had Thor’s scientist buddy do the tech work for it.

The original wormhole he came through was opened by Shield and Stark wasn’t involved. In fact…he comments in the Avengers on how Shield isn’t involving him into their research on the tesseract, which powers both of these wormholes.

1 Like

But powered by the self-sufficient energy source used by Stark’s building.

Tony may not have been responsible for the first wormhole, but if his dad had left the tesseract on the bottom of the Atlantic then Loki would have had to be pretty good at holding his breath.

1 Like

But the Red Skull stole the Tesseract from its ancient resting place and he was created by…oh, a Jewish German scientist who then made Captain America. :wink:

Same with Dr. mumbles who got turned into an AI by Hydra/Shield…not based on Stark technology. Same with Bucky too, come to think of it.

…and…the villain in Ant Man powered by Pym Particles.

Stark did kind of trigger some of the Extremis stuff by refusing to work with the AIM guy and making him all Emo and sleeping with the lady scientist who developed it but needed funding, which he didn’t give her.

and…done

1 Like

In short, Tony Start fucking ROCKS!!! :smiley:

1 Like

I’m not saying Tony created every villain in the MCU, but I think he either created, inspired or indirectly enabled every villain he’s faced so far and at least a few of the ones he didn’t.

He didn’t just inspire the AIM guy to turn into a bitter supervillain. He had a one-night-stand with the woman who was developing the Extremis formula and left a note with the key to perfecting it on her nightstand.

Don’t get me wrong—Stark is definitely cool. He’s just not really a net benefit.

2 Likes