See Spiderman in the new Captain America: Civil War trailer

He’s a rogue problem solver! Hell, he didn’t even remember doing it!

1 Like

He did have an atypical moment of self-awareness in Iron Man 3 with that little “we create our own demons” opening. I was like, “That’s right, Tony! You’ve created all your demons! Maybe you should stop!”

But then in his very next movie he went and built Ultron, so the lesson apparently didn’t stick.

2 Likes

Tony Stark? Meh. Soon enough it’ll be time for Arno Stark. 2020 isn’t far away.

1 Like

Been there done that. Half of drug production at my high school ran on my precursor synth method I made up on the spot and traded for being talked with at lunch time.

Chemistry trade school. Fun times.

Why? It’s fun! :smiley:

What a misunderstanding!

1 Like

I want me some Spidey underoos!

1 Like

Five and a half minutes? I didn’t have that kind of attention span as a child in the 1970s and I sure as hell don’t now!

GET HIM!!!

5 Likes

If you’re in favor of registering and controlling firearms then you should be pro superhuman registration.

Yes, of course! Because just like actual people, firearms are sentient beings with rights and freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution!

Oh, no, wait, they aren’t, so your argument is silly.

FWIW, in the original comic arc, the superhero registration wasn’t something as simple as filing some paperwork or checking a “superpowers” box on your driver’s license. It was “become a government agent or get thrown in prison in another dimension forever with no charge or trial”.

3 Likes

After reading Civil War, I can’t stand Stark any more - the manipulation of Parker was over the top, and what he did (had done/let happen) to Cap… - every time I see him now, I see him as the d-bag that he really is and all the flash pomp and circumstance won’t change that.

3 Likes

I think I remember Charles Stross saying he turned down the opportunity to write an Iron Man story because he couldn’t see Tony Stark as being anything other than the bad guy.

I can’t find a reference though.

I just found this quote from him on that topic:

(It was either ditch the journalism and go 100% full time as a novelist, or ditch the journalism, keep writing novels 50% of the time, and do work for hire for Marvel Comics — but I didn’t like Tony Stark one little bit, which is why I turned down the opportunity to write Iron Man in 2005 and went full time at the novels.)

agree

1 Like

Wait, isn’t a reason to not turn it down? I’d read villainous Stark written by Stross, and I’m not even a comics reader.

1 Like

and then Warren Ellis did it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I remember that 70s Spider-man. I remember my Dad had planned this trip to go down to London to the Science museum with my brother and me, and we refused because we wouldn’t get home in time to see Spider-man. He was so disappointed. I wish I had gone with him now.

Good guy, bad guy, who cares. He has pretty toys.

That said, Hydra doesn’t have bad ones too.

What bothers me (and Charles Stross) is that Tony Stark didn’t care who his toys were pointing at until they were pointing at him. Suddenly we are supposed to believe he is the good guy?

Ask yourself this question. If Tony Stark was in Germany in the 1930s, would he have moved to the UK/US to make his cool toys there, or would he have teamed up with the Red Skull with his cool toys and labs? If he stayed in Germany, world would you be free enough to choose to say that he had cool toys or would you be in fear of what he would do to you with them?

Does mentioning the Red Skull in a comic threat invoke Godwins Law?

4 Likes

Good, bad, he has sweet toys. Could he make enough money for such labs if he did discriminate against customers?

Von Braun did it.

And at the end he reached the Moon.

Yes. He seems to be making a good living after giving up on being an amoral arms dealer, and he inherited his company from his father.

But I’m on the Captain America side of the civil war argument, and having all the cool toys in the world won’t change that. Other than that I won’t say no to having them though.

OK, back to the real world. I belong to at least four different groups that got sent to the Nazi slave labour and death camps. I have friends whose grandparents were sent to them. I don’t think that getting to the moon, or anything else, justifies those horrors.

Besides, we would have got to the moon anyway. We may even have got there sooner, as Von Braun wouldn’t have had people in death camps covertly sabotaging his rockets.

6 Likes