See the Japanese art of paper theater—Kamishibai—in Seattle this fallw

Originally published at: See the Japanese art of paper theater—Kamishibai—in Seattle this fallw | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Looks interesting. Respect for Elders Day it is!

1 Like

In the US, these were called chalk talks (see Wikipedia entry). They were a common act in vaudeville and Chataqua shows.

Gertie the Dinosaur (often considered the first animated film) was originally part of a chalk talk. As Wikipedia says, Winsor “McCay first used the film before live audiences as an interactive part of his vaudeville act.”

In the stage performance, McCay interacted with Gertie. On his side of the “live” conversation, he’d ask her to say hi and do things for the audience – synched, of course, with the film. He portrayed her as shy, which made her silence part of the act.

I’ve loved the idea of chalk talk + animation for decades. I cherish my copy of the 1920s book, Chalk Talk Manual by Harlan Tarbell.

2 Likes

I’m in Portland, and I may go to Seattle for this (if plague numbers continue to look good). I wonder if I’m an elder at age 66?

1 Like

On the garden’s page about their hours, in the part about their normal admission charges they refer to “Senior Adults 65+” so I think you’d probably fit!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.