Seiko Quartz Metronome

Why are people buying metronomes when you can get one free on your phone?

The free one I have on my phone is most certainly not 100% steady.

Kudos on this recommendation, nice to see old fashioned dial metronomes still around, they are so much more convenient for flipping around different tempos. Want to go half-speed from 160 to 80? On a Dr. Beat or the typical phone app you’ll have to hold a button for a while. Nearly instantaneous with a dial. Also keeps the kids nowadays from playing tempos that don’t exist, like 91 or 106 :wink:

The devices like Korgs and Dr. Beats and such are nice, but sometimes they are just too much hassle, like having to get out a power tool when all you need to do is just tap in an easy nail. It takes a lot of self-discipline to do something as unpleasant as practicing with a metronome, so it’s good to make it as simple and easy as possible.

I can keep rhythm with no metronome.

Do you have an easy way to substantiate that?

Here is a video of m30 running an against an mp3 file.

99 cents.

I’m fine if people want a metronome, just seems like they are easily replaceable with something that is already in your pocket. I guess the planet is already fucked any way, might as well have a nice metronome on your way out the door.

1 Like

Did you write that comment on your phone?

1 Like

That’s true. But the machine’s only used when I practice alone, so not too much of a biggie. I can setup any number of sequences at any pace-change though, which is nice if I’m doing something more structured. Although when it comes to that, it tends to be done on the computer.

It’s battery-run. Sits on my desk and ready to kick with the flip of a switch.
I’m not sure I understand your “as unpleasant as practicing with a metronome”.
I suspect you’re probably far more a professional than I.

As an aside: I haven’t played any recently, but I have had A418 and A450 performances. I also had a flute I loved that was 445 or so that I just bent notes on like mad :). It was also largely diatonic so playing anything other than D, G, or Emn was a chore.

If you tune by harmonics, dont forget to check some octaves when you think you’re done. STFW for Pythagorean Comma or Tempered Tuning if you’d like to find out more.

And Jason, put the 'nome on two and four, not on one and three. You are not a rowing slave! Putting the metronome on the light measures of the beat changes the role of the click dramatically. It won’t show you when to play, but how exactly you are off the beat. It feels good to hear that you are perfectly in the pocket, almost like grooving with another musician.

Beats are better honored in the breach than the observance. See jazz v. Sousa.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.