"Seinwave," a vaporfunk rework of the Seinfeld theme

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/21/seinwave-a-vaporfunk-rewo.html

1 Like

And it wasn’t even REAL slap bass!!! It was, like, a DX7 patch or something.

2 Likes

That’s actually pretty close to the theme music they used in the original 1989 pilot episode.

pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good, @abelard

1 Like

Well kinda real, it was a sampler.

Since $50,000 sports cars and affairs would have gotten me in trouble with my wife, I settled on taking bass guitar lessons about three years ago. Every few months my son asks me if I’ve learned the Seinfeld theme. Since I’m not a big fan of slap, I have not learned it. When I tell him I haven’t learned it, he says “So, you’re not really a bass player are you.” Hard to believe he made it to his 24th birthday.

5 Likes

What is the deal with vaporwave?

6 Likes

I suppose every generation (and I’m using that term loosly) needs to name things to feel validated as such. From a taxonomic point of view, I think those vapor* subgenres aren’t different enough from their “references” to need a name, just as there’s no such a thing as vaporblues or vaporfolk.

3 Likes

Thanks for the genuinely great answer!

However I was actually just making a lazy joke riffing on Seinfeld’s “What is the deal…” catchphrase:

But I really like your analysis. I’m vaguely interested in vaporwave by proxy (my son’s an enthusiast) and now you got me hankering for some vaporblues… :smiley:

4 Likes

Yeah, but what about …

7 Likes

Oops, now it seems the joke is on me, and I swear I’m not trying to reference any Bee Gees song :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@lastchance Yes! That is a pretty cool tune with a very nice bass part. Thanks to your post, I looked up the bass player - Chuck Berghofer. He was part of the Wrecking Crew musicians.

4 Likes

2 Likes

The sound of vaporwave takes me to a memory palace of pure happiness. Specifically, playing Super Nintendo games until the wee hours of the morning.

3 Likes

I got this. it’s a grimy, 90s hip hop remix, though, not vaporwave

2 Likes

There was no single “Seinfeld Theme” - every single episode had a unique song composed from standard components to fit around Jerry’s joke delivery in the opening “standup” routine.

4 Likes

well there should be. incongruous genre mashups need to happen more.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.