Self-balancing unicycle

I have seen Solowheels in Munich. The people owning them use them to get to the commuter trains without having to wait for the bus, which is the perfect use for these things. Bridging the gap where walking would take longer than you want, but hauling out the bike doesn’t seem worth the effort. As I wasn’t paying attention too much, I thought it was a nonpowered thing and dismissed it as a toy (it didn’t help that the guy I see most with one looks like a Ralph Lauren / Abercrombie and Fitch hipster).

Definitely paying more attention to these things in the future.

DRTFA, but I hope it has a low-battery warning. Newer batteries shut off immediately upon reaching a preset low voltage.

Halloween around the corner! Me dressed as a floaty white ghost! The smooth movement is perfect! Kids screaming, shrieking, running everywhere! WIN!

Riding a unicycle is one of those rare spaces in life that really is special. I look at unicyclists with the “I am amazed” monocle. And tall unicycles, I’m just like, “not possible, where’s the balloon?”

I can well imagine how the invasion of that space is irksome.

The introduction of “wavejet” surfboards (self-propelled, a bit) has a similar impact on me. I keep hoping they’ll electrocute the users, or sink, or be attractive to sharks. I haven’t even looked at one. Probably comes with a drinks holder and lounge.

One component closer to Clap Trap being a reality.

1 Like

Impressive, but judging from the vid it would appear impossible to look cool whilst riding one, which is pretty much the exact opposite in the case of a normal unicycle.

They are basically the same thing (even down to the price). Some of the same people worked on both. The difference is standing vs sitting.

From the product page:

Upon a depleted battery, your SBU will gently immobilize by slowing your motion to stop while still safely maintaining balance.

Then the wheel runs over the front of the sheet and you come crashing down.

Blood-bags! Spray everywhere! Get up and do it again!

You can walk at 12 mph?

I ride a lot of uni, and in a few weeks I’ll be commuting on my 28" wheel unicycle ( I’m currently a bicycle commuter). 12 mph (a five-minute mile) is unattainable by most mortals on a 20" or 24" uni ( the standard wheel sizes). Some folks ride 36" and 40" wheels, and on those 12 mph is not an unreasonable speed. Going up-hill on a large-wheel uni takes significant strength. I wonder how well this machine can handle hills.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.