Semiautomatic handgun advocate shot and killed her two daughters

I’m sure if she hadn’t had easy access to guns during her argument with her daughters, she’d have just used something else. Built a quick chemical bomb, maybe, or enticed the girls out onto the street so she could run them over. How could having within arm’s reach, 24/7, deadly weapons that require minimal effort or forethought to kill multiple people in a fit of temper POSSIBLY be a problem?

55 Likes

Would it matter if the firearm was from the civil war era? Would it matter if it was homemade? Of course it would. These are the details any (competent) reporter is expected to provide.

4 Likes

From that story:

“I’m a big hunter, and I support gun rights and I own guns,” [a neighbour] said. “I just think sometimes guns get into the hands of the wrong people and tragedies happen.”

Also from that story:

her husband, a parole officer and former prison guard

Oh, yes. This is a story about “the wrong people” getting guns. Because a parole officer is obviously a “wrong person” to have a gun.

Tell, you what, gun-ownership proponents. I’ll start believing your narrative about “responsible gun owners” when this shit stops happening.

36 Likes

When I saw your question I imagined they were making some weird distinction between their brick and mortar home and their ‘heavenly home,’ or something, (wouldn’t have surprised me) but in the context of the article I think the writer just means their quaint, typical home.

2 Likes

If her daughters had had guns, this surely wouldn’t have happened!

The only way to stop a bad mom with a gun is a good daughter with a gun!

36 Likes

They’ll just respond with a no true Scotsman argument. By their definition, all gun owners are “responsible gun owners” until they are demonstrably irresponsible and then they’re not. There’s no possibility in their narrative, however, that a gun owner could be irresponsible prior to getting in the news for a murder, suicide, or gun accident.

IMO, “responsible gun owner” is an oxymoron.

24 Likes

As much as I get the irony in this, as much as I can sense the disturbing schadenfreude at the gun lobby rattling around in my ID…this just makes me sick. If I thought that something…anything…good could emerge from it, I would at least appreciate the value of the lives lost. As things stand in the world this will likely be considered just another atrocity rather than the full-fledged tragedy that it really is.

It does make me want to scream obscentities outside NRA headquarters.

15 Likes

Or what she’d apparently posted to facebook…

“It would be horribly tragic if my ability to protect myself or my family were to be taken away,” Sheats wrote in March on her Facebook page, “but that’s exactly what Democrats are determined to do by banning semi-automatic handguns.”

'murica. #thanksNRA

7 Likes

Guns don’t prevent mental illness, temporary insanity, or depression.

And yet some people treat them like panacea

4 Likes

All gun owners are “responsible gun owners”. We’ve just not necessarily found out what they are going to be responsible for. :wink:

28 Likes

Disagree in part. Certain countries have high levels of gun ownership without these tragedies, so those countries might have responsible gun owners.

Responsible American gun owners, on the other hand, might be an oxymoron.

7 Likes

If the NRA believes that guns should be in the hands of “responsible gun owners”, why are they so dead set against testing for responsibility before ownership begins?

35 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s true across the board. Hunting rifles for people who live in rural areas are fine. But anyone who thinks a handgun in their suburban house with kids is a good idea hasn’t looked at the statistics.

16 Likes

No True Gun Advocate would have been capable of perpetrating such a terrible terrible thing:

The post she shared in January shows a .357 pistol with .22 ammo.

10 Likes

She’s got those Michele Bachman eyes… that deep-seated built-in crazy that knows whatever she does is right with the lord and right for the world. Beyond Scary

8 Likes

There are some similarities, I think, between the way guns in a house work and drugs in a house- as in having opiates in the house correlates highly with increased risk of abuse of said opiates. Simply not having them in the house makes a meaningful positive effect.
One of the (many) reasons I don’t have or allow guns in/around my house.

9 Likes

Good point. Hence forth, my opium den will be a gun free environment.

22 Likes

That was my first thought… True Believer™ Eyes!

7 Likes

Well, she used to, at least.

2 Likes

Holy shit.

4 Likes