Semiautomatic handgun advocate shot and killed her two daughters

I think one of the problems the US has and will never get away from is that there are just too many of the things. Guns have become tools in situations that they should never have entered into; such as this tragedy or that ridiculous shot in ass because the neighbour did not like you feeding the squirrels or whatever that was a month or two ago.

10 Likes

I think it’s used here as a signifier of nicer than average. Most homes in the US are constructed of wood, and so a brick home would be more expensive and, in some regards, “nicer”.

In fact, in almost every case - and especially in TX - her home is almost certain to be a standard stick-built wooden ballon frame house with a brick veneer applied to some or all of the outside walls rather than siding.

TL:DR It’s a form of bragging - “my house is nicer, classier, and more expensive than yours”

4 Likes

Mind you i agree that gun legislation needs to happen, I’m just not convinced stricter gun control would’ve helped in this particular case. I suspect she may have still qualified to be a gun owner but i’m speculating… but that’s what i was getting at with my initial post.

Clearly we need decisive action on gun control and it’s very frustrating that not much has happened on that front even after everything that’s been going on lately.

2 Likes

Sorry but that’s not .22 ammo… just cheap .357 rounds (no copper jacket).

7 Likes

Pushed them into the swimming pool, maybe.

3 Likes

ALL GOOD GUYS NEED SWIMMING POOLS! THERE’S A SWIMMING POOL GAP WITH THE RUSKIES!

Love it.

4 Likes

I’ve never seen .357 ammo that pointy. Although the size is off (which I assumed was a photoshop thing?) they really look like .22 long rifle rounds to me. I’ll take your word for it, but I’ll wait for confirmation from Mister44 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really don’t see this as a gun rights issue per se - it’s not about whether laws would have saved her children, because I don’t think they would have.

For me it is the hypocrisy of her stance, and that in fact she herself was a “bad(gal) with a gun” who claimed that she needed the guns to protect herself and her family from the very thing she was.

It’s like the staunch anti-gay republicans and religious leaders that in the end are just arguing against their own conflicted selves. It’s why loud, strident voices with blinders on should not have a place in a decision.

11 Likes

Whacko + Guns = Tragedy.

4 Likes

I’d define it more as:

Emotional situation + Guns = Tragedy.

We’re none of us very rational once the our emotions get riled up.

26 Likes

There is also a possible mental illness situation:

The Fort Bend County Sheriff’s Office had been to Christy Sheats’ home “for previous altercations” involving Sheats’ “mental crisis,” sheriff’s spokeswoman Caitilin Espinosa tells PEOPLE.

She declined to provide more detail about those incidents.

2 Likes

The local newspaper did, but I’m at a geographical advantage with this story.

Mainstream white conservative Christian.

3 Likes

This whole tragedy could have been avoided if she had more guns.

6 Likes

if only the daughters had guns too, right? in the woman’s own words she repeats the myth of guns needed to protect self and family when the reality what she did is use the gun as it most commonly used for. other common uses are suicide, domestic violence, accidental shootings, and prizes for home burglars.
good guys with guns is a myth but children shooting other children or adults happens on a weekly basis and that’s a fact.

15 Likes

“I’ll start believing in responsible drinking when drunk driving deaths stop happening.”

7 Likes

Since being human pretty much guarantees emotional situations cropping up, I think you can shorten it to:

Humans + Guns = Tragedy

6 Likes

While I am hesitant to cast gun culture as a mental illness per se, I wonder whether or not it played a role in this incident.

More broadly, I also wonder to what degree mental illness is prevalent among gun owners relative to the non-gun owning population.

Any ideas?

3 Likes

My stance is every time a gun is sold, society and the community is gambling on the owner being a competent owner that is a crack shot and stays sane their entire lives. So why roll the dice on this so frequently?

11 Likes

Although it doesn’t appear transitive, Humans + More Guns = Comedy, right?

Well, maybe Black Comedy.

3 Likes