Sen. Al Franken Accused of Forcibly Groping Radio Host Leeann Tweeden

Yes, I do think he should step down. He’s already admitted to it. I don’t see anything about faking a sexual assault that represents what we want in our senators. It’s long past time to clean house of all the sh*tbags.

Ludvik was a dashing, witty, and popular student who supported the Party. Like most of his friends, he was an enthusiastic supporter of the still-fresh Communist regime in post-World War II Czechoslovakia. In a playful mood, he writes a postcard to a girl in his class during their summer break. Since Ludvik believes she is too serious, he writes on the postcard, “Optimism is the opium of mankind! A healthy spirit stinks of stupidity! Long live Trotsky!” His colleagues and fellow young-party leaders did not see the humour in the sentiment expressed in the postcard. Ludvik finds himself expelled from the party and college and drafted to a part of the Czech military where alleged subversives form work brigades and spend the next few years working in mines.

5 Likes

Imagine you’re the person in the photo. Someone is making a joke about sexually assaulting you. Even if staged, it’s not fucking funny.

25 Likes

Nobody is arguing that it’s funny. But I don’t think it should be put on the same spectrum as Moore or Cosby either.

6 Likes

Then let’s start with trump.

22 Likes

49 Likes

For the world to be truly fair we need to have women making inappropriate jokes about the sexual assault of men (and in a way men won’t like, like ways that challenge their masculinity). With no consequences for the women, and hoards of people showing up to defend that “it’s just a joke”.

7 Likes

I doubt both of these statements.

6 Likes

Surely there’s a middle ground between “it’s just a joke” and Franken resigning from the Senate.

17 Likes

And she is asleep, she’s not participating, she’s not consenting, it’s not funny.

24 Likes

Er - were people confused that she was?

ETA - NVM - early article must have said so.

1 Like

Not so much accused of, as admitting to it and doing a poor job of showing contrition for it.

1 Like

2 Likes

Here’s an idea. Let the investigation happen.

I think it’s a huge bite on the ass for democrats, simply because he is one of the scant few who repeatedly and openly stand up for their constituency. It’s possible that he’s on the take and handing out quid pro quos whenever he’s not being watched, but very, very few senators are willing to offend the wealthy and powerful.

Damn shame.

9 Likes

Yes. It involves a real public apology and some form of restitution to Ms. Tweeden. Probably a settlement to keep it from going to a lawsuit.

If Franken does those things, he can salvage his reputation and put it behind him. Rather than make an excuse for it which will make him look like a dishonest or arrogant buffoon, steer into the skid. Admit fault, admit guilt and show some act of contrition.

5 Likes

I am saddened to hear about this. I donated to Al Franken’s campaign when he first ran because I loved his work with Air America. But…

If I want Lord Voldemort’s head on a platter for grabbing pussies, I also can’t excuse Senator Franken for giving unwanted tongue just because I agree with him on most issues.

I think all of this shows that we need to have women in charge for a while. How many men can pass the (excuse me) “sniff” test?

Granted, I’ve not met many letches in about 20 years, but when I was in my 20’s and 30’s (early in my career), I had to beat them off with a stick. At least I wish I could have.

I’m really not that surprised that a famous man would take advantage of his famousness. I am just disappointed that it was Senator Franken.

He needs to resign.

17 Likes

I think Franken needs to show a metric fuckton of contrition to Ms. Tweeden. Apologize in public and have his lawyers write her a big check under the table.

2 Likes

OOOhhh! Liked until I read the check part. Were you being sarcastic (I hope)?

4 Likes

To everyone making excuses for Al Franken, please don’t. There is something happening right now, and it is healthy and it is overdue, and I am happy to have lived to see it. And some people you admired in the past will be exposed as taking advantage of the circumstance of being born with a penis. This will be good. Maybe reputations will be rehabilitated in the future. I don’t know. I don’t care right now. This movement has caused me to examine my own past intercourse (don’t giggle, I’m being serious) with women especially those over whom I’ve occupied a position of power. I haven’t finished reliving half a century. I think I can say I’m not ashamed of anything, but, disturbingly, I don’t know what I’ve forgotten or mis-remembered or never realized how something hurt someone that I thought was “just funny”. And if someone wants to remind me of an incident that hurt, want to be reminded, and I want to have whatever needs to happen to happen.

42 Likes

I was being realistic. But also is anything less than $ going to look like he really is sorry for his actions?

I am picturing Franken saying, “Well America, I did something stupid and offensive to this poor woman and it cost me $___. There is a lesson to the rest of you!”

2 Likes