Sen. Mitch McConnell has no clue about AI in awkward interview (video)

Originally published at: Sen. Mitch McConnell has no clue about AI in awkward interview (video) | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I was going to say a lot of people don’t have a clue about AI since its promoters are putting out so much misinformation about it, but then I watched the video. Holy shit, it’s not that he doesn’t have a complete grasp of the issue. It’s that he literally doesn’t know what the fuck it is at all. You could see his brain cells trying to work out what he was being asked about, and coming up completely empty.

I’m not for a mandatory retirement age for Congress, but holy shit, we’d be a lot better off if half of these people would retire. The median age in the Senate is just over 65 and it shows.

26 Likes

13 Likes

Sen. Mitch McConnell

19 Likes

“Ay WHAT? God damn it, is this one of those America Online dot com things? I can’t wait until this ‘internet’ fad dies down and I don’t have to deal with all this new-fangled lingo!”

9 Likes

To be fair to him… it doesn’t seem like anyone has a clue about AI…

10 Likes

And to be fair Mitch is no more clueless about AI as he is anything else. He just hadn’t been given any talking points yet

9 Likes

We apparently still have a long wait before AI becomes self-ware, at least from KY.

Looks like he couldn’t hear. Once he got it, he seemed to perk right up and say, Oh, AI…the question is what role does the government have. Which is likely right, for now. Also gummint can’t control AI or AI programmers.

3 Likes

To be fair, there’s a whole lot of people in that camp - it’s just that some of them think they have an understanding of what it is, thanks to that misinformation.

Understanding or not, I suspect there’s almost no one in congress with any clue at all as to how to approach the issue, much less do they have a concrete stance on it. (I.e. they’re almost all equally clueless on the policy level.)

4 Likes

This is where lobbyists pull up and put their greedy faces into to the slough. Politicians never have an offing clue and it takes someone to blow smoke up their ass to get bills passed. “Read the bill? Why never son!”

2 Likes

If he wasn’t such a scum bag I’d feel bad that they’re picking on an old man. Did he not hear (happens when you’re older) or did he not understand? Probably a little of both.

3 Likes

Didn’t he just have a concussion recently?

3 Likes

McConnell’s generation was already middle-aged when ordinary people first encountered real computers in the 1980s

As far as he’s concerned email is magic and A.I. is just another magic word

6 Likes

Yep.

He’s yet another one whose obit I look for regularly.

7 Likes

Soulless ghoul doesn’t die.

2 Likes

@Death might disagree:

9 Likes

Yeah, that’s my impression, too.

1 Like

I think the requirement should be able to read, understand, and able to explain the bill they’re voting on to their constituency in layman term. I’m pretty sure 2/3 will fail because they’re busying bending down or deep throating by the corporations. Those people should have no business in the office, considering most of them failing their civil duty that the position grand them.

1 Like

Most of congress don’t read any of the bills they vote on. Often, they give them a few thousand pages to look at a couple hours before the vote.

Wish I were joking about that.

2 Likes