Sen. Mitch McConnell has no clue about AI in awkward interview (video)

For me, this is one of the biggest issues with elected officials of McConnell’s age. They have no clue about so many things - especially from a technology point of view. But it is broader than technology. There are so many issues and viewpoints that they simply can’t grasp. And yet, here they are making laws and signing off on funding issues that will have little impact on them (well, maybe the nice Citizen’s United political donations). I’m 61 and I completely understand why my children are so despairing of people of McConnell’s age dumpster firing their futures.

6 Likes

No, I’m aware of that. Considering how many attempt of obstruction and shutting down government, I think they have the time to freaking read through the goddamn bill they’re voting on. I mean if you don’t read what you submit in any other job, you will get a pink slip sooner or later. Congress of both houses are mostly a racket.

1 Like

I am trying to adopt AI into my workflows and so far things are… weird but interesting and good?

Like working with a capricious djinni who has a FABULOUS sense of art history and technique but an idiot’s understanding of basics and… sigh. I love it so far and look forward to decades of awesome improvements. MidJourney has changed my world like the first computers, the first draw on iPad Pro etc. Just dipping my toe into chatGPT. Exciting (end?) times!

3 Likes

In my dayjob AI generally means Artificial Insemination.

5 Likes

I can just see his thought process going something like this:

AI, what’s that? It wasn’t including in my briefing by Rupert Murdochs people!
I know, I’ll just prevaricate with the usual weasel words until I work out which of my corporate backers will give me money to have an opinion one way or the other.
That’s always worked in the past.
As long as I come out with money I don’t care!

4 Likes

Age isn’t always the best predictor of that kind of thing though. I expect Bernie Sanders is much better informed about contemporary social and technological issues than Josh Hawley.

9 Likes

Your Bernie example is valid, but he is an exception. A wonderful exception, but an exception nonetheless.

4 Likes

You know, McConnell could have a degree in studying machine learning and the ethics behind it, and it wouldn’t matter an iota to what he does because he is entirely bought and paid for. Just saying.

7 Likes

First time I was actually embarrassed for anyone in the GOP.

2 Likes

There for the grace of Satan goes he.

4 Likes

And here I’ve been thinking that Mitch McConnell has actually been an AI for years.

1 Like

He understands the artificial part just fine. It’s the intelligence part that he struggles with.

1 Like

I’d argue there is an immediate need for government to step in and ban training these systems on stolen copyrighted data without implicit approval of the owners. That’s an easy one to call.

3 Likes

"IF PEOPLE KNEW WHEN THEY WERE GOING TO DIE, I THINK THEY PROBABLY WOULDN’T LIVE AT ALL.” - Death

― Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

4 Likes

“That is not dead which can eternal lie, / And with strange aeons even death may die.”

I’m pretty sure McConnell would have no trouble lying for eternity if it kept him in the game.

4 Likes

Agreed. That’s why I’m not in favor of a mandatory retirement age. But I really don’t think it’s healthy for our democracy that the Senate is as old as it is. Some of that is on us (the voters, not us in this thread). Too many people clearly just vote for a name they recognize, which is usually the incumbent. Feinstein should have been voted out a decade ago, if not earlier, but she keeps winning, usually in a landslide. I do not know how to fix this, though.

2 Likes

It’s terrifying that the most powerful country in the world is run by doddering old fools like this. With hateful beliefs, to boot.

5 Likes

Exactly.
The initial response on literally every issue brought in front of congress should be to consider what role government plays or should play in it (ahem, reproductive rights), and then to act on it.
They got reproductive rights exactly wrong. And in stalling, McConnell is getting AI exactly wrong.
All they need to do is look to Europe to see how government can have a positive impact when considering the effects internet and other technologies have on society.

3 Likes

This is essentially a Mad Lib, fill in the blank and you won’t be wrong.

“Sen. Mitch McConnell has no clue about ___ in awkward interview.”

3 Likes

(In wattled turtle-voice): “…Well, I thought that Haley Joel Osment kid did admirably, but that Jude Law was clearly a gigolo groomer.”

2 Likes