Senate votes to allow ISPs to collect and sell personal data without permission

At this point all “Republican” means is “guaranteed to always make the wrong decision”. It doesn’t matter if it’s the environment, online privacy, civil rights, whatever- if a decision makes logical sense, benefits the population or upholds any kind of virtue, they will oppose that decision. Invariably.

It’s becoming increasingly difficult to think of them as fellow human beings and not singleminded robots with the switch set to “evil”.

6 Likes

Modern conservatives seem to be a cabal of neoreactionaries; if it is tainted by the association with “the left”, they have no choice but to be against it.

6 Likes

Even if you go to a secure website, they still have access to all of the urls, don’t they? And if your email address is on their server, they can presumably mine that for valuable data as well.

Just as an FYI, if you have some rudimentary command line experience, you can set up a self hosted VPN.

I decided to try out Algo. It took <15 minutes to set up a Digital Ocean droplet. Their lowest tier (which should be sufficient) is only $5 a month

Unfortunately, many services such as Netflix will whine:

(BoingBoing OTOH appears to have no issues letting me post :+1:)

3 Likes

Not over a VPN, they don’t get URLs.

And who uses their ISP’s email addresses? Everyone has gmail or the like.

They’ll probably charge you for bandwidth if you send 100 GB across your Digital Ocean droplet.

Go on the offensive. The corporate-government complex might have too much invested to shut down an ISP, but I wager that’s not the case for us here. Post honeypots, exploits that would harm only snoops. Surveil your ISP. Attack their connections to the companies and agencies who would be paying them for your data.

Do pretty much anything proactive that forces a change in the way they do business, beyond simply complaining. The senate allows ISPs to sell your personal information, but the more important question is, do you?

1 Like

When Netflix whines, I simply drop my VPN connection and reconnect. Works every time.

BTW, I pay for Netflix with a U.S. debit card, with money I earned working in the U.S…
Regional blocks make absolutely no sense in cases like mine.

1 Like

Yeah, I know that, but without a vpn, even with a secure connection to a website, all of the urls while you surf that site can be seen by your ISP.

Well, then Google gets to mine your email, and not your ISP, which is probably just as bad if not worse.

TBH I don’t usually pay attention to how much bandwidth Netflix draws, but the lowest tier gives you 1TB transfer a month.

Also, for now they appear to not police how much bandwidth you actually use.

1 Like

There’s usually at least one Wireshark 0-day deployed every Defcon :tada:

1 Like

I wouldn’t defend Google in general but Google is far less likely to sell your data to a third party than any ISP will. Google uses it so Google can make money. If people don’t like the deal, they shouldn’t use Google. I don’t. I certainly wouldn’t use Comcast for my email though. That’s just idiocy.

1 Like

Well, I watch Netflix all the time and haven’t exceeded 250 GB a month.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, PIA is based in America. Whether that is a factor for or against them is up to the individual (most other big VPNs are based either in northern Europe or registered in tax evadey, far from US law type of places).

Aren’t there some browser scripts that unmask it though?

Not the VPN per se (the browser script wouldn’t leak your IP). What a browser CAN do, though, is leak a cookie or LocalStorage info that would enable you to be tracked independently of your IP (for example, if that cookie was used elsewhere when you weren’t using your VPN, or, say, logged you into a service or something).

This is why Tor distributes a secured browser and tells you to never do anything you do on tor (or on VPN) on any other device or browser, including log in to services.

1 Like

It all depends on what the threat model is that you’re trying to fight.

The threat model here is “My ISP collects logs of all of my browsing traffic.” VPNs or Tor (or an SSH proxy) will fix that, though usually at the cost of speed and perhaps money.

Where do they tell you to do that?

It really depends on what you’re trying to accomplish by using Tor.

I asked them about that before I signed up. They replied back and said they don’t keep any logs of what their customers are doing. So even if they get a warrant to give out info about someone, they don’t have anything to give.

they still have access to all of the urls, don’t they?

The host name isn’t encrypted, but everything from the first single slash forward should be.

1 Like

What quality you usually on? 1080?