Senate votes to allow ISPs to collect and sell personal data without permission

It’s kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don’t scenario.

If you route your traffic through the USA, you’re subject to fun stuff like NSLs.

If you route your traffic through Europe, NSA can treat it as foreign.

1 Like

Let’s imagine everyone gets clever and begins using a VPN. How’s that gonna work? Free VPN providers going under due to bandwidth costs, pay for use VPN providers upping their fees to cover the cost of bandwidth, ISPs buying up VPN providers to capture that income stream until we are back to where we started. VPN is an OK temporary fix but it’s just a band aid for the wound Trump’s Senate created.

1 Like

The great thing about bandwidth that with some exceptions (when you jump scales and need new gear), bandwidth is generally cheaper the more of it you need, on a cost-per-megabit level. VPN providers who become popular, depending on how well they’ve designed the rest of their infrastucture to scale, may well see reductions in cost-of-service from more traffic, not less.

The bigger issue is that if we are reduced to a large number of popular VPNs, they will reprsent juicy targets for state actors to gain access to the endpoints of and begin monitoring. In some ways that may make their jobs easier, not more difficult.

It all depends who you are trying to keep your traffic from.

1 Like

Whatever they HD stream… it isn’t like one normally specifies 1080.

Purchase the private information of every senator who voted for this bill and release it publicly?

2 Likes

Relevant to the discussion:

1 Like

There’s gotta be some sort of VPPA based legal jujitsu we can pull…

1 Like

Of course, most VPN providers seem pretty shady too.

So I noticed something about ProXPN on my Android phone using their default app. Every time I would open a VPN connection, I’d lose it once my activity dropped and the screen went dark. In order to maintain a permanent vpn connection, you need to download a the OpenVPN app follow these directions, and your VPN connection will persist until you turn it off.

A zero-day in Wireshark itself? Please to clarify.

1 Like

?
Wireshark gets 0days from time to time. People find it amusing. “Here’s some network traffic to sample…ha ha ha”

2 Likes

Oh, I hadn’t ever heard about that. Could be a problem since you have to run it with elevated privileges for access to (certain?) interfaces.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.