Senate votes to remove the endangered lesser prairie-chicken from the endangered species list

Originally published at: Senate votes to remove the endangered lesser prairie-chicken from the endangered species list | Boing Boing

1 Like

Prairie chickens are cool. The ones we used to see where the greater chicken, though.

The drought in Southern and SW Kansas is bad. Really bad. The local lake near my dad’s is literally half empty. I am sure that is causing huge stress on their populations.

The feds and states really need to work together on conservation.

6 Likes

As soon as I saw this I thought “In this day and age, it’s more likely that it’s being removed not because its numbers have recovered enough, but because Republicans deliberately want it to go extinct.” Spot on, unfortunately. Everything always happens for the worst possible reason in 2023 America.

6 Likes

“If they list the prairie chicken, this is not only going to make it harder for the oil and gas industry, but it’s also going to make it harder for farmers and ranchers, as well as getting the wind energy out of those wind farms from western Kansas…”

Just sort of slips that in as if this wasn’t the main idea. I’m sure his concern for western Kansas wind farms is just as deep as his concern for the oilygassy. And another tip of the hat and raise of the middle finger to Moderate Joe Manchin for his support.

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure the real reason Republicans and Joe Manchin don’t want them listed as endangered is because they won’t be able to shoot them anymore. Grouse hunting is better than skeet shooting because of the random flight patterns.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.