Seven dead, seven injured in Santa Barbara rampage shooting

You really have to watch his last video to get the full effect of how insane he is. That being said, there are plenty of men/boys who think similarly if the internet is any judge. The “women don’t like nice guy” mentality is unfortunately very common.

3 Likes

I moved 41 posts to a new topic: Santa Barbara shootings and MRAs

1 Like

Paraphrasing a line from Star Wars prequel as your own will immediately preclude anyone from being “superior”. What a loser.

3 Likes

“Nice” guys like that don’t realize that women also pick up on the resentment, fear, desperation, and rage.

Maybe “obnoxious brutes” are better at hiding it. :smile:

9 Likes

I turned off the TV years ago. Haven’t missed it, although I do find that a lot of other people expect me to be watching various shows.

Oh well, I say. We can talk about other things like music, movies, books, et cetera.

4 Likes

Apparently his rants were enough that a few posters on Reddit were getting alarmed days ago:

http://www.reddit.com/r/cringe/comments/260fod/hes_magnificent_but_no_girl_will_ever_give_him_a/chmoeub

crazydave333 124 points 4 days ago
If this isn’t a trolley, then I bet we find out this guy is a serial killer. I’m getting a strong Patrick Bateman vibe from him.

http://www.reddit.com/r/cringe/comments/260fod/hes_magnificent_but_no_girl_will_ever_give_him_a/chmjplc

foyamoon 499 points 4 days ago
If I was attendning his collage I would treat this guy nice, just incase he flips

8 Likes

I assume that “Nice Guy” means “hasn’t murdered, raped or assaulted any women…yet”.

5 Likes

I just watched all 21 of Elliot Rodger’s youtube videos, including the one that is now the most infamous.

It was not pleasant, but it was certainly eye opening. In short, a lot of fucked up monologues punctuated by 80s music and driving around in a BMW.

It’s Patrick Bateman, but a Millennial and an early bloomer.

It’s white male privilege contrasted with mental illness and alienation.

It’s fucking scary. The Santa Barbara sun makes it scarier.

And anyone who saw any of these videos before yesterday and didn’t do anything about it is fucking negligent. This kid needed serious intervention.

9 Likes

This is so correct.

And sadly, so ignored.

Thanks for posting.

2 Likes

Whiile i agree that the conversation is pretty good, gun control is always a big part of this. If he hadn’t had access to a firearm, this would be a very different story.

5 Likes

I agree with the general point that a vast infrastructure of mental health resources that are affordable, available, and unstigmatized would surely succeed in preventing many of these rampages.

Here, though, it looks like there was some intervention, that he was in treatment with multiple therapists, and that his own parents had reported his alarming youtube videos to the police.

Rodger was getting mental help. His parents reportedly saw his dozens of YouTube videos — of him wandering alone or sitting in his car complaining about the world’s unfairness, his loneliness and a desire for vengeance — and were concerned enough to report them to police, their lawyer tells ABC News. He was being was being treated by multiple therapists, according to the lawyer, and had been diagnosed as “a high-functioning patient with Asperger syndrome.”

Here’s the transcript of the last video:

"On the day of retribution, I am going to enter the hottest sorority house at UCSB and I will slaughter every single spoiled, stuck-up, blond slut I see inside there. All those girls I’ve desired so much. They have all rejected me and looked down on me as an inferior man if I ever made a sexual advance toward them, while they throw themselves at these obnoxious brutes.

"I take great pleasure in slaughtering all of you., You will finally see that I am, in truth, the superior one, the true alpha male. [laughs] Yes, after I have annihilated every single girl in the sorority house, I’ll take to the streets of Isla Vista and slay every single person I see there. All those popular kids who live such lives of hedonistic pleasure while I’ve had to rot in loneliness all these years. They all look down upon me every time I tried to join them, they’ve all treated me like a mouse.

2 Likes

Ok, bad news for sure.

But if I can point something out, a small meta-detail. Observe how the press felt the need to describe this incident as occurring near UCSB. Im sure the shooting occurred near a gas station too, but they failed to point out that detail.

There are news editors and producers sobbing at this very moment that it didn’t happen ON UCSB so we could have yet, another school shootingto crow about. I guess they will have to settle for near.

Also, from the pictures I have seen the alleged shooter is… well, to be frank… tawny. He does not fit the hollywood/24 hour news cycle version of a mass shooter. This story will go away in short order.

5… 4…3… 2…

1 Like

You are talking out of your ass and spreading a lie that stigmatizes a lot of people. Mental illness has not been shown to lead to increased violence outside of co-existing substance abuse or acute psychosis. Mental illnesses don’t cause people to kill others.

http://promoteacceptance.samhsa.gov/publications/facts.aspx?printid=1

A related question asks to what extent do mentally ill contribute to the overall prevalence of community violence. Using data from the Epidemiologic Catchment Area studies conducted in the United States, Swanson (31) reported population attributable risks for self-reported physical violence. Attributable risk refers to the overall effect a factor has on the level of violence in the population. For those with a major mental disorder, the population attributable risk was 4.3%, indicating that violence in the community could be reduced by less than five percent if major mental disorders could be eliminated. The population attributable risk for those with a substance abuse disorder was 34%, and for those with a comorbid mental illness and substance abuse disorder it was 5%. Therefore, by these estimates, violence in the community might be reduced by only 10% if both major mental disorders and comorbid disorders were eliminated. However, violence could be reduced by over a third if substance abuse disorders were eliminated.

9 Likes

So if the rest of the nation catches up with Cali, it wont make any difference??

Supposedly his parents even warned police that they were concerned.

1 Like

Hi! I’m Bobby, nice to meetcha!

“You’d think the Psych team would have predicted this.”

-My wife after we talked about the story.

1 Like

So this was a hate crime?

If that’s supposed to be a joke, it isn’t funny. If you’re asking seriously, then yes, gender is covered in California’s hate crime statutes, plus whatever of VAWA’s restitution stuff would have mattered if he weren’t dead.

5 Likes

Not really a joke.

I was not questioning the gender of the targeted ladies, as much as that he was targeting white girls.

I find your response to this interesting. You thought it would be a hate crime case because he targeted women and you ignored the fact the he explicity stated that he was targeting whites?