Shaming Ocasio-Cortez for her clothes is a classic ruse to deflect attention from real issues

Yes, but you see, when the Republican media trollies police a woman’s clothes and when a “concerned” commenter complains about people critisizing those misogynists, it’s like, totally worth it. But those of us actually doing the criticizing of the misogynistic policing of women’s clothes are wasting time. /s

17 Likes

But… a woman on the left MIGHT be lying!!! We got to call that out before they cause a misandrist, communist revolution! /s

17 Likes

How precisely are we supposed to get the point of not having women constantly undermined by these sorts of narratives, if we don’t call it out when we see it. Saying nothing will change nothing.

20 Likes

17 Likes
25 Likes

I hope the motivation there was along the lines of Patton reading Rommel’s book on tank warfare as a means of defeating him. Because Scott Adams is most certainly not on our side.

26 Likes

I think Ocasio_Cortez’s first order of business on her first day in January should be to seek out McCarthy or Scalise and give 'em a thorough beat-down “first day in prison” style. That might shut some people up. /s

8 Likes

No it isn’t. When I was a poor college student looking for jobs, I spent ~$800 on an interview suit, because I wasn’t going to screw up a good job by wearing a cheap suit. Looking the part is far more of a requirement for her job than mine (I only ever wore that suit for interviews) so getting the clothes to look the part is something she had to do, regardless of the expense. Imagine what they’d all be saying if she showed up to congress dressed like a waitress.

27 Likes

Aw, geez, people. This is what’s linked to Adams’ book.

Customers who viewed this item also viewed

This shopping feature will continue to load items. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading.

1. LilMents Petite Maid Ruffle Retro Apron Kitchen Cooking Cleaning Fancy Dress Cosplay Costume (White)
    LilMents Petite Maid Ruffle Retro Apron Kitchen Cooking Cleaning Fancy Dress Cosplay Costume…

4.0 out of 5 stars 49

$12.99

8 Likes

They always say “you should dress for the job you want, not the one you have” but whoever said that never had to explain why they showed up to an office meeting wearing a starfleet uniform.

34 Likes

Excellent point.

Where I live, there’s a non-profit organization that collects donations of high quality business apparel, and they give needy individuals clothes so that they can go to interviews/jobs looking presentable.

https://dressforsuccess.org/

21 Likes

Beat me to it. :wink:

5 Likes

Yeah. . . I assume that quote was in the context of approving of Trump’s idiocy.

1 Like

Cool. I’ve got a bunch of suits I’ve outgrown that I should send to them.

13 Likes

You totally should; pay it forward, someone can probably use them.

10 Likes

How are you calculating how much her suit costs? It’s a photo from behind and she’s wearing a generic suit. It could be from the Gap or J Crew. Or even a gift from a friend for her exciting new job. Really, at the end of the day, it’s none of our business.

18 Likes

I think the message is that they’re upset that she’s dressing “above her station” in the classist/racist sense.

24 Likes

Ocasio-Cortez describes the outfit as “her best sale-rack clothes.” Certainly there’s nothing about that suit that screams “obvious wealth” unless you’re predisposed to imagine she is somehow flaunting obvious wealth.

18 Likes

Look like a modest suit to me (though I’m no expert). She’s a Congresswoman, does someone expect her to show up in sweatpants and a stained T-shirt? Fuck these people…they have no shame.

17 Likes

Uh… I wonder if your Amazon views have affected it, as I didn’t see any attire in my list of “customers who viewed this item…”

1 Like