Shaming Ocasio-Cortez for her clothes is a classic ruse to deflect attention from real issues

That’s not what they are doing, so stop pretending like asking to be considered on our professional merits and calling out people who focus on our appearance is the same thing as judging women on their appearance. It’s not. IGNORING IT DOES NOT HELP.

They are NOT the ones who have been doing this, especially in this case.

THEY ARE RESPONDING TO BE TOLD THEY ARE DRESSED WRONG. They are NOT the ones who are starting the discussion on their appearance.

READ THE WORDS THAT I WROTE.

17 Likes

Sure, if it struck me that it particularly suited her or if she was really rocking a look. I might even initiate it. “Today’s world” doesn’t preclude that as long as you’re not being a sexist creep about it.

12 Likes

Well said. “Hell yes” is the right answer.

1 Like

Oh no, men have it so hard now, because they can no longer lust after women they find beautiful and shame those they find unappealing, as god intended… /s

17 Likes

Well, there’s no constitutional right to be found attractive or sexually desirable. Had there been, my high school and college years would have turned out much differently.

From what women tell me, a lot of grown men still don’t know how to give that kind of compliment without coming off as a creep who’s focused more on the woman’s body than what she’s wearing.

12 Likes

Yes, probably because lots of them were never taught that we’re human beings who exist outside of their wants and desires. If they can’t offer a compliment without seeming creepy, that really isn’t my or any other women’s problem, is it? It’s really their problem.

16 Likes

You’re missing the point here. It’s male politicians who’ve dragged fashion into politics by setting a default dress code (man’s suit and tie) that largely excludes women by creating a no-win situation for them.

15 Likes

I don’t want to get sucked into a dispute here (especially involving the admirable Mindysan33) but whilst I can see your logic, the flaw is in suggesting it is a special problem in politics. How do you know that messages are being deliberately sent by what women wear as politicians (as opposed, say, to just as women)?

You assert this is a special issue with (some) female politicians, but provide no concrete evidence. If messages are being sent by what ANYONE wears, well, perhaps, and the issue becomes a wider one of why are male and female clothing practices/standards so divergent? It is a general issue not a special one for politics.

The issue for politics, as in big business, perhaps, or for any other profession, is ‘do my clothes reflect the professional image I wish/need to project?’

So: smart, clean, not too outrageous, etc. might be considered a wise standard to aim for. But women have been encouraged/pressurised into the “dress to attract” trap for so long it is hard to behave differently when in politics, perhaps. For men it is only “dress to impress” - but women cannot do that without other intentions being (falsely) imputed.

But your “women politicians dragging the problems…into politics” makes no sense to me. They are not dragging anything in. They may be ‘conditioned’ to some exent by societal expectations, but accusing (some) women politicians of being the problem seems arse about face to me. Further, given that society does this to/with women, I can hardly blame any woman who DOES try to use it to their advantage in politics. But the messages most people want to send via dress are the same regardless of gender - it’s just that men and women have been constrained by society as to how they are allowed/expected to send messages.

ETA: What gracchus said!!

11 Likes

Never taught and never bothered to learn. Many of them are the same collection of alt-right manosphere mopes who are eternally puzzled why they can’t find a girlfriend or get laid.

11 Likes

Two quick points. It’s not special to politics. Not at all. But politics does have some special aspects. Which leads me to point two: Why so much red? It’s to stand out. To get re-elected. It’s a political manipulation tool that should bother us on a fundamental level. Why should I prefer someone who wears a particular color?

Having quoted and affirmed what you say, nevertheless I do not fully agree. I cannot blame male politicians per se / accuse them of 'dragging in…". It was set as a standard for business professionals more widely long ago. If male politicans are guilty of anything here it is of conforming.

Can someone explain what “Federal Job Guarantee” means? I mean, I could google it… but this ups the post count.

Why so much grey and navy blue for the men? It’s to blend in and further demonstrate that a man’s worthiness of attention need not be judged on what he wears.

11 Likes

Well, clearly, it’s women’s fault for not getting how brilliant they are! /s

But seriously, agreed. How hard is it to treat women as people instead of objects.

You do realize that men who are politicians also dress in particular ways? Why are you so hell bent on focusing on women doing that instead of men? Politics is about convincing you in any number of ways, from policy positions to social signaling through clothing. You seem to think that women invented this and that they are the only one’s practicing it.

13 Likes
5 Likes

You assume red is special? In the US it is a GOP colour (right). In the UK it’s Labour (left).
Or just that it is to stand out? I refer you back to my previous points. ALL women are ‘encouraged’ to stand out. Those women that become politicians are not just doing it because they are in politics, despite your suspicions that this is the only reason they do it.

3 Likes

= conform

Women can ony conform by trying to stand out in some way.

Glad we sorted that out, now. :wink:

1 Like

I still like the idea of forcing congress critters to wear sponsor jackets at all public appearances. Kinda like they do for Nascar.

23 Likes

In the case of Dems like Ocasio-Cortez, the specific policy is that the federal government would guarantee a job with a living wages and health benefits to any unemployed American who’s willing to contribute labour to a public works or public service project. Since the government spends money on these initiatives anyhow (or, in the case of infrastructure, needs to), the idea is that they might as well provide employment opportunities.

12 Likes