Shark appears super powerful

Originally published at: Shark appears super powerful | Boing Boing

4 Likes

A couple of things stick out to me. I always assume this sort of remarkable event must’ve been staged by an oceanographer or researcher. But it appears any shmo with a boat and a convincing dummy seal in the right location could bait such an encounter. Which is kind of amazing. If that’s the case, what a payoff for the wait.

Also, it took me this long to say to myself ‘no wonder sharks have pointed noses’.

2 Likes

I never realized shrks had their own style of tail fin karate.

4 Likes

In this case at least, the vertical composition perfectly suits the subject. What many of us complain about isn’t the vertical format per se, it’s the inappropriate use of it. Here, it’s AWESOME.

10 Likes

Sharks are people too.

4 Likes

Uh, earworm much

2 Likes

Full out of water jump with a 180 twist. Good on you little shark, good on you.

3 Likes

Yeah. Congratulations are in order. I would not mind to meet the person in person, buy them a drink, and just chat about wildlife.

Yeah, and photography, but mostly about wildlife.

1 Like

I’m wondering if the finishing tail hit was simply the happy result of momentum of the initial leap or did the shark actually think to batter its prey like that…

1 Like

It seemed pretty calculated; I imagine some of the larger prey animals might not go down without a fierce fight, and do some damage in the process. Even mice can fight back against predators.

Definitely a finishing move.

Finish Him Mortal Kombat GIF

From the perspective of almost any other animal in that habitat a pinniped is anything but a “prey animal.” So yeah, any fish that eats these guys for breakfast is not a fish to be trifled with.

4 Likes

barrelroll

1 Like

What an exceptionally well designed killing machine. Natural selection is endlessly amazing…

3 Likes

“Sweep the tail, Johnny.”

3 Likes

… and sometimes it gets it right early.

Sharks have been around since before there were trees; there have been no changes to the ocean since then that have caused them to need to change. Still a near enough perfect killing machine that they haven’t been out competed.

What is amazing to me is how common they are. Once you know how to see them going to the beach is never quite the same…

1 Like

Or parasailing…

1 Like

Sharks as a group have been around for a long time, but that doesn’t mean they haven’t evolved over the years. Sharks hunting pinnipeds are a relavtively new phenomenon.

Sharks used to be common, but they have declined in most parts of the world due to overfishing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.