Shark bites boy wearing "shark-repelling" magnetic armband

Hmm. Kind of like when your tiger-repelling rock doesn’t repel tigers anymore.

2 Likes

When it comes to sharks, this Dutch yellow pages commercial is hard to beat:

The guy on the cart asks whether they have a piece of some 5 by 10 yards. Reply: only frosted glass. The guy holding the glass frantically nods Yes!. The guy keeps looking further in the yellow pages and asks at the next one whether the price includes putty.

Bert

4 Likes

9 Likes

One that is payable to your heirs and not voided by the death of the owner…otherwise there’s a perverse incentive.

2 Likes

Woah, mine still work perfectly. Even went to the zoo and I was completely tiger attack-free. Worth every penny that I’m paying on monthly installment plans. I’m also looking forward to my tithe getting me into heaven - it’s guaranteed. (Still not sure on how to collect on that guarantee, though…)

1 Like

steady on there. are you suggesting surfers aren’t bums and prisoners?

4 Likes

Mythbusters tested this a while back during shark week. Yes, sharks seem to be irritated, but the consequences of that irritation were equivocal. Some (generally the ones that wouldn’t bother you anyway) ran away while others apparently said “fuck this” and tried to destroy the irritant.

If anyone is trying to turn a buck off this they should be sued into oblivion.

4 Likes

That kid definitely has a whiff of the Wheaton about him, especially given the relative surreality of their situations:

4 Likes

Whiff of Wheaton - worst Christmas cologne ever, well, except for all of the others…

But, maybe it repels shark?

11 Likes

Maybe the armband was on backwards.

3 Likes

Even if it were effective, they specify the range of the device as 1 meter. Unless you are standing on land with your arms at your sides, chances are there are important parts of your limbs/body which are 1 meter away from the device at any given time. In the two worst-case scenarios I can imagine, you would either have the band on your ankle leaving your head out of range or you would have it on your wrist leaving your lower half exposed as you try to swim away.

3 Likes

Sounds like one a them 50 shades of Grey Shark.

7 Likes

The orcas are just as bad. “As God is my witness, I genuinely mistook that swimming nun for a penguin.”

7 Likes

This is why I always carry a Chicken-Scaring Torpedo.

I guess the shark’s polarity was opposite the magnet.

3 Likes

Their adverts say that it weighs 3 oz, has no batteries.

The bad taste of woo repels sharks.

4 Likes

Orcas are always getting hooked by bad habits.

5 Likes

Did anyone else keep reading magical for magnetic in the article?

6 Likes

Magnets are magic tho

3 Likes