Sheriffs from 3 states very sad about Colorado's legal weed

“the potency is off the charts, it is the best marijuana in the world.”

The Dutch would like to have a word with you about that…

3 Likes

He would think whatever the person who invoked his name would think. That is the best part about someone being dead (especially someone who had clout), you can make them say anything and they can’t defend themselves! Plus people are usually to lazy to fact check it.

Ooh, I see it everywhere nowadays.

The Dutch have been in the back seat for 20 years. California has been the leader but since so many move from California to Colorado they are catching up.

2 Likes

<------ Obviously not a smoker.

:smile:

“…I’ll take the Pepsi challenge with that Amsterdam shit, any day of the fuckin’ week.”

2 Likes

Yes indeed. The case for federal jurisdiction is rock solid. That’s why the 21st Amendment just says “Yeah, the 18th Amendment no longer applies because it was totally redundant anyway.”

This lawsuit just underlines the bankrupt justifications for marijuana prohibition. Take away the fact that it was an explicitly racist policy to begin with, and that it has been applied in a racist manner ever since, but what are these sheriffs complaining about? Is it that marijuana overdoses are up? No. Are they saying that property crime has increased because of marijuana smokers trying to fund their habit? No. The only thing they are saying is that Colorado’s legalization is making their own prohibition more difficult. In any sane context, this is a ridiculous reason to continue a failed policy. Unfortunately, marijuana prohibition has never been about reason or good public policy and has always been about social control of “undesirable” people.

11 Likes

I’d like to see more of an explanation as to how Colorado legalizing weed is “unconstitutional.”

3 Likes

Exactly. Like I mentioned the last time this was brought up… I believe the neighboring sheriffs will eventually show their hand and ask for some of Colorado’s tax revenue to help them “combat” the “increase” in “crime”.

2 Likes

Should get bounced for lack of standing, no?

2 Likes

Typical Nazi thinking on the part of Sheriff Overman. Anything that looks like a “surrender” must be avoided at all costs, even if it means violating the 4th Amendment by throwing people into prison, where they have to live among arsonists and rapists and murderers, for the “crime” of smoking something that big business doesn’t control. Let’s all give Sheriff Overman a big, hearty “Sieg Heil!”

3 Likes

“We are forced away from what we’re usually doing to deal with Colorado-sourced marijuana,” … “Legalization has completely changed the landscape involving the marijuana that we encounter … the potency is off the charts, it is the best marijuana in the world.”

He must mean a different Colorado.

2 Likes

Because cops don’t want to understand laws. What they want is control.

You keep hearing that cops care about law and order. That’s bullshit. Cops don’t give a rat’s ass about law. They like it where it gives them the power to arrest people, but other than that, cops are this country’s worst enemies of law. Any cop who’s ever had to fill out an arrest report or testify in court figures he has to do everytyhing he can to circumvent the laws because they interfere with him doing his job.

Cops don’t give a fuck about law and when it comes to the crunch, they don’t give a fuck about order. What they care about is power.

9 Likes

I’d just simply ask Nebraska what they pay South Dakota, The Feds, and the Sioux Nation for selling alcohol right over the border of the Rosebud Indian Reservation. They have been profiteering off the prohibition of alcohol on the reservation for decades, and I’m quite sure that it makes law enforcement more expensive there.

“Hello Kettle, this is the Pot. You’re Black.”

/lol Pot.

6 Likes

What really get’s my goat on this thing is that back when I was in high school, officer Friendly would come by to connect with the kids. Overall a good thing. When inevitably asked why they need to bust kid for a joint. The answer was always, we are here to enforce the law. Don’t like the law, change it. Well it was changed. Suck it up

16 Likes

My hazy (due to poor memory, not pot smoking) recollection is that the argument goes something like this: “Marijuana is illegal according to federal law. And constitutionally, federal law trumps state law, so you can’t pass a state law that negates a federal law”. Or something like that.

1 Like

My jurisdiction, that jurisdiction, and the national jurisdiction. IANAL, but the national jurisdiction already says weed is illegal, does it not? Are the courts going to levy fines against governors of each of the states when nearby states don’t like the direction that passed laws of other states have gone? Is the governor personally running the weed business in Colorado? Do we get to sue governors for millions when they pass federally unconstitutional laws? Is the governor a manifestation of the law and land of Colorado? I’m feeling emotionally distressed about gun regulations, abortion regulations, and marijuana being grown and consumed by individuals on their own land in some other jurisdiction on the other side of the country and I need loads of lawsuit money to fill my hole. The laws of that other place encourage others to break the law over there, and here are my damages I conjured up by rolling a bunch of dice. Maybe I’m asking all the wrong questions, but it seems a bit odd to me.

1 Like

The Controlled Substances Act passed by congress is why the CO law is “unconstitutional.” This is why we need to amend Controlled Substances Act or just change the secluding of pot.

But this case is stupid and these sheriff’s need to fall in line with the chain of command. No one, ever in history, wants to hear a subordinate wine about you not doing your job.

1 Like

Ironically, one of the strongest arguments against legalization is one that these sheriffs are unlikely to use. The USA is party to several international treaties that require it to enforce anti-drug laws. It’s arguable (IANAL) that having states legalize pot puts the federal government in violation of those treaties. However, right-wing sheriffs are probably the type that hate the UN, so bringing up international law wouldn’t be appealing to them.