Sheriff's SWAT team poses with warrant, "Come Back With a Warrant" doormat

I’m a veteran too and what I can speak just as assuredly on my opinion as you can your opinion: Militarized gear leads to militarized tactics which leads to a militarized police force which leads to insurgents.

De-escalation, community policing and accountability leads to a healthy relationship between the police and the policed.

29 Likes

Overalls and Reeboks‽ I would wonder when the police had started hiring Special Needs officers.

2 Likes

I don’t think you have your cultural assumptions quite right either

3 Likes

I didn’t even need to press play… It was the middle bush. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Actually so did I, and I consider most Democrats to be way too far to the right for my tastes. Admittedly, that opinion was formed largely after being in the military … which let me see the world first hand and gain more information from which to create said opinion. While it’s true that many people do go into the military with a raging erection for “serving their country” and all the other patriotic reasons that give TIs wet dream, I think the majority join because it seems a reasonable trade for the benefits, getting to see the world, and to get the fuck out of the backwards hellhole in which we were growing up.

Plus, more than twenty years later, I get medical care without which I would have been dead a long time ago. No, it’s not a service related injury.

Edit: opinion not option.

13 Likes

Well - have no idea the back story. But they got a warrant it looks like, so at least they are working within the law. Who knows, this guy/gal might be a real bad guy, like an arms dealer, or under ground mime trainer.

1 Like

They got a piece of paper. That may be a warrant so they might have some legal authority, but it still looks like they’re a paramilitary militia operating outside the law. Or an occupation force oppressing an enemy country. Or possibly terrorists. You can see the word “Sheriff” on a couple of them, but that’s the only noticeable indication that they might somehow be related to legitimate law enforcement.

Looks more like a police officer presumably working within the law.

But assuming that piece of paper is actually a warrant, yeah, it’s nice that someone thought it would be a good idea for law enforcers to follow the law.

2 Likes

You acknowledge it’s unnecessary, bad form, dickish, douchey, and makes them look like assholes, but also wonder why it’s a problem? And heaved forbid anybody have a ‘fuck the police’ mentality, what with them all being anointed saints who shit rainbow-flavoured social justice.

5 Likes

Actually, why don’t they get those outfits made up in officer-blue?

3 Likes

Historically, “Black” and “Police” don’t match too well.

3 Likes

THAT.

I mean, how dare anyone have a ‘fuck the douchebags’ mentality?

When there are different rules, it is bullying. Our public servants should not be bullying the public.

1 Like

Probable cause is really low barrier, too…

This is probably done in good humor. Sure the house is beige, but the photograph doesn’t really tell me anything about the legal status of things–or if a raid really happened (you’d have to do some detective work to figure that out).

I mean what’s to stop a Sheriff’s department from just buying a doormat?

4 Likes

If you show up with these guys, I’m certainly not letting you in.

9 Likes

Probably true. I will admit to simply presenting a narrow European scale of “left” vs “right” just to counter the narrow American scale used by @Menotyou.

The thing is, once you label somebody “kneejerk ultra-*”, you’re not likely to listen to their arguments. But if there’s an entire continent of people who are on the far side of a certain opinion, chances are that they’re not all batshit crazy. An American who is pro-military because only “kneejerk ultraliberal leftwing” people could possibly be wary of the military makes the same mistake as a European who supports strict gun control because only “crazy right-wing gun nuts” think private gun ownership is OK.

For most people around here, it boils down to a cost/benefit analysis, as well, but the “cost”, the “benefit” and the “political opinions” are different. In Central Europe, you’ll just find stronger support for leftist pacifism, and almost no support at all for the idea that one should “support the troops” even if one opposes the war.

:musical_note:He said, "son, have you seen the world?":musical_note:
Now you’ve done it. I’ve got a tune stuck in my head.
BTW, a little while ago there was an off-topic discussion somewhere around here about how German supposedly has a word for everything - in this case, I’ve got an Ohrwurm.

3 Likes

English stole it. We call it an earworm.

6 Likes

Not relevant. Even if there is one, logical evidence is not the same as legal evidence (only a subset of logical evidence counts as legal evidence), because we humans in this country collectively decided that that is the kind of society we want to live in - one where it is better to let a hundred guilty men go free etc. etc. We’ve never actually achieved that goal should also be irrelevant, but so what?

There is no correlation between owning that doormat and engaging in activities that justify a warrant. Only smart-ass libertarians would have one, and even they would hesitate putting it up if they were actually up to something illegal.

However, political speech (which this is) is not probable cause. And anyone putting that on their doormat is obviously not going to need a SWAT team to serve it. Actual drug lords have real protection (iron bars, security gates, paid-off SWAT captains, etc.).

4 Likes

I think the problem might be how well armed an American civilian is allowed to be. When the cops walk in to a house they might have a legitimate concern that they are walking into an arsenal.

So, don’t walk in. Unless really, REALLY needed.

There used to be times when the minor stuff was served by one guy knocking and waiting. Growing pot or owning “drugs” is also nothing bad enough to require invasion of homes.

8 Likes