Shirley Temple, RIP

[Permalink]

Growing up, I used to look forward to watching her movies on TV. But just recently “The Littlest Rebel” was on and, well, just the first twenty minutes was so cringe-worthy that I had to go and do something else.
Nothing against her talent, it’s just amazing how times have changed.

2 Likes

I know it’s a cliche, but it’s true. She brought light at a very dark time when many craved hope. Little wonder that her work hasn’t translate well into our time. It was never meant to.

Amazingly, when her moment passed she had the awareness and strength of character to go do something else positive. To me, that is her biggest accomplishment.

Requiescat in pace

8 Likes

And her daughter played bass in the Melvins.

3 Likes

Her movies were so saccharin they were linked to the rise of diabetes and tooth decay and the songs were impossible to get out of your head, even worse than “It’s a Small World After All.”

3 Likes

My maternal grandparents were Czech, and I went to a big gathering of Czech, Slovak, and Moravian immigrants in Detroit at the time Shirley Temple Black was announced as the new ambassador to what was then Czechoslovakia.

She’d brought happiness to so many people as a child, and it was nice to know that, in her later life, and in a very different role, she was still doing the same.

Hail and farewell.

2 Likes

Aweee…I loved her growing up. She will be missed, but her legacy will live on…

It is amazing she turned out so well.

4 Likes

If only she could have set the mold for all child stars.

Can you even imagine an Ambassador Lohan?

2 Likes

Prime Minister Bieber.

2 Likes

Doctor Mayim Bialik – no, wait…

4 Likes

You win!

Ja, mein Bieber!

1 Like

In Our Little Wooden Shoes. Thank you Shirley.

I had a DVD of her stuff that I guess had slipped into the public domain, from a year or so before she got famous. I think this included some theater shorts maybe 15 minutes long, and holy crap was there some weird stuff in there. But she was a shining example of a child star that didn’t get destroyed by Hollywood

Also, she may well be the last star of the 1930s. It’s mind boggling to think of all the big stars she would have known.

Bill “Bojangles” Robinson dances the stairs with Shirley Temple from “The Little Colonel” (1935)

Yeah, some of those early shorts where she was wearing skimpy outfits and reciting dialogue laced with sexual inuendo were kind of funny-weird. I guess things haven’t changed that much.

You saw the same one I did, apparently.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.