Shootout in Oregon: one terrorist killed, eight arrested

7 Likes

In other words, always watch closely how law enforcement is done.

But in this particular case cops couldnā€™t do much better: thereā€™s only so much tactical you can go with suicidal extremists. There are legit reasons not to surrender to terrorists, you know.

1 Like

ā€œfor those decrying any use of arms in protestā€¦ā€ and ā€œhey, you twoā€¦ā€ do not ring the same.

I understand.

Non-violent protest does nothing for you? Okay. You donā€™t understand the boingboing, for sure. And Iā€™m sure you wonā€™t get it as the page scrolls past 400 comments.

4 Likes

Douglassā€™s comments are not inconsistent with nonviolent actions, which are demands for power to concede. The other side certainly got plenty physical on Gandhi and MLK and their supporters.

Of course, their causes were just. Yā€™all Quaedaā€™s were, instead, nuts.

11 Likes

I saw cops shoot a guy once.

He had tried to stab people with a knife. Someone in a black car had driven though a puddle and splashed mud on him. 30 seconds later he had found a black car with a couple in it. He opened the driver side door and said ā€˜this is my territoryā€™.

The quick thinking couple exited out the passenger side door. They ran into a cafe. He did too. The cafe was a rough place. A lot of people stood up when they saw the man with the knife. They held him at the door when he was trying to get in. He had a foot in the door and was trying to cut people.

Someone called 911 as soon as the couple came in. The guy backed off after a minute or soā€¦

The cafe more or less emptied out into the street to watch.

This madman try to walk away like nothing happened. A police officer pulled up in a car next to him. He smashed the butt of his knife against her window when she got on her PA to tell the guy sneaking up behind the madman to ā€œdrop it and back away.ā€

This guy in a blue shirt was sneaking up. With a big rock held over his head. Cartoon style. With plans to hit this madman in the head, by all appearances.

After the madman attacked the patrol cars window unsuccessfully with the knife, he went back onto the street. Walking like nothing happened.

5 other patrol cars showed up. A circle of officers formed around him. Guns drawn.

He ran towards the officer in the car, and she put him down.

She was a rookie. She did exactly what she was supposed to do.

I spent the night at the police station as a witness, with a lot of other people.

We all agreedā€¦ A most justifiable homicide. But we just said what we saw.

A week later in the same cafe a couple were discussing the death penalty. I eavesdropped.

No one deserves to die. No one is born, has a mother and father, is on this earth, and is raised to get murdered in some prison. No one isnā€™t redeemable. Says the guy whoā€™s against it.

I gave this a lot of thought. It was an emotional argument he made. Butā€¦ This madmanā€¦ This completely justifiable homicide? Still a tragedy.

Someone is dead. A family grieves. Someone wrestles with the grief of taking a life.

A lot gets lost.

So only one is still a big problem. Every time someone takes someoneā€™s life, its a big goddamn problem.

And if we spent a hundredth of our national defense budget on actually suitable for law enforcement gear and R&D, weā€™d probably have a number of ways to detain people without piercing their organs with randomly aimed projectiles in a couple of years.

Instead the non lethal weapons being developed are for crowd control and dispersal, and the police departments get US military gearā€¦

22 Likes

Donā€™t waste your own ā€œinkā€; Iā€™m not trying to convince you of that.

Citation needed.

6 Likes

Well, weā€™re all Little Eichmanns, arenā€™t we.

4 Likes

Cory was factual. Do you equate ties to terrorists with terrorism? It sounds like you do but still donā€™t want this elected official to get droned. I donā€™t care about your motives, but donā€™t ascribe your fucked up, lame prejudices to the rest of us. It sounds like you want to drone the Saudi royal family or the residences of the major stockholders of the arms industry. Or youā€™re driving trollies and can be told to go fuck yourself with impunity.

1 Like

Pbbbbbbffft.

It sounds like they were pretty closeā€¦

And there are reports that the very ranchers the militiamen wanted released got away with death threats, harassment, and destruction of property for decades before the arson charge was leveled on them. Bullies with guns nominally standing up for other bullies.

7 Likes

I can type up a nice long diatribe on how their demands are dumb and their politics are insane, but since we agree on that, why bother? Surely you can use Google to satisfy that desire.

I can agree that the word ā€œterroristā€ is overused, but there are still times when itā€™s applicable. In this case perhaps they are not really terrorists. Perhaps. But I can still see why a lot of people call them that, and anyway simply calling them terrorists isnā€™t the end of the argument either; itā€™s not like I heard the word ā€œterroristā€ and immediately turned up my nose at their demands.

I donā€™t think anyone here claims ā€œcivility [is] the highest virtue in societyā€, but itā€™s a lot more virtuous than an armed takeover, which carries an implicit threat of violence. If weā€™re going to talk virtue, Ammon Bundy said he was following ā€œGodā€™s callā€-- I donā€™t know what god he was talking about, but it couldnā€™t be that Christ fellow who was friends with tax collectors and who said we should turn the other cheek and give away all our possessions to the poor.

2 Likes

Nope, they met all the criteria for terrorists.

3 Likes

(I was feeling generous. Must be the whiskey.)

2 Likes

Letā€™s be honest: The British left India because it was bankrupting them. Britain lost money on India, and all her possessions. What was happening was the East India Company was looting the British treasury with the help of a few paid politicians. (Think Haliburton. Dick Cheney is the former CEO of Haliburton, and still owns considerable stock in it. Cheneyā€™s war made him and his friends very rich indeed.)

What Gandhi did is give them an honorable way out.

#pwned

3 Likes

6 Likes

I wonder whoā€™s going to come in now and defend these guys as being non-terrorists? If anyone has no laws, itā€™s the Bundy Klan.

2 Likes