Shoppers in Australia find a live venomous snake in their bag of lettuce

Originally published at: Shoppers in Australia find a live venomous snake in their bag of lettuce | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I call that a lucky day, and BTW is that snake eatable?

4 Likes

I feel ya’, snek; we’re all trying to lose that quarantine 19.

5 Likes

Salad, not even once!

7 Likes

Of course they did. It’s Australia. I would expect nothing less.

11 Likes

I know someone who would rush out to try to find a snake in a lettuce bag.

2 Likes

Even the groceries are trying to kill you in Oz.

18 Likes

may steal this as exemplar of an Observer Bias. that is, would you find a “live venomous snake” in your ice-cream? in your pre-baked jaffle-cake? in your hermetically sealed jumbo jar of vegemite? (“would see them with a goat. will you see them in the rain. in the dark. on a train?”) bag o’ lettuce, among few others, it must be if a living snake you wish to see (hee hee)

1 Like

If so, it’s probably the most nutritionally valuable item in that bag.

What I’m saying here is f**k lettuce.

4 Likes

Eat your greens, dang’it.

3 Likes

Winner winner, snaky dinner!

3 Likes

I’m skeptical. In all the prewashed bagged salads I’m aware of, most the air is sucked out of the bag before shipping, to maximize freshness. They slowly re-inflate as the lettuce breaks down, producing nitrogen and carbon dioxide. The claim that animals survive this process for days and are found in sealed lettuce containers still alive is dubious.

Snopes has an (inconclusive) report of frogs in salad from 2006. Frog Salad | Snopes.com

At some point, there should only be articles about Australians who went for a trip and came home without meeting any animal that wanted to murder them.

1 Like

Cos?

I’ll see myself out

Pffft, you should see the spiders you get at Lidl.

Just another day in the colony.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.