Short documentary about the evolution of Photoshop

Yeah but GIMP makes my head asplode. It is as if they intended to hide features 10 incorrectly named options deep in UI menus.

1 Like

Gimp can do most of what Photoshop can do, but it’s just nasty to use.

Wish it wasn’t so - Adobe are not a lovable company.

1 Like

It was much more of a paint program without layers… a very complex and technical paint program, but doing anything but editing images was difficult. Using the channels as a layer kludge was painful.

I’ve often thought of Photoshop as the most complex consumer software on the market. You can use it for a decade and still find new techniques and tools hidden in it. My old boss at an internship was a master of keyboard shortcuts and the Calculate & Custom Filter tools. He’d bring up an image and just start typing shortcuts, entering numbers into the arcane Custom Filter, and photos would change and morph. It was crazy to watch and I realized that I probably know a fraction of what can be done with Photoshop.

2 Likes

It’s very frustrating these days; I’m still using my legally purchased copy of CS6, because I loathe the idea of renting my software monthly with Adobe CC.

I’m keeping a close eye on Affinity Photo as a possible alternative. But I use Photoshop and Illustrator in conjunction so closely that I’m likely stuck with the ol’ reliable.

1 Like

I’ve my eye on Affinity, too. I’m only an occasional Adobe user and my copy of CS4 is c-r-e-a-k-y on El Capitan.

4 Likes

Paint.NET needs more love.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.