Should mainstream media invite GQP on their shows? Yes, says Meidas Touch host, and this is how

Ever visited the Capitol South Metro station? (there’s a really nice library nearby). Anyway, WMATA has a program where they sell the whole station’s ad packages-- and usually it’s bought up by a defense contractor.

2 Likes

But since that will never happen, there’s no reason why those fascist bastids should be given the time of day, much less a forum to spew their toxic bullshit.
I remember an article someone wrote a long time ago (for Texas Monthly?) re: roaches.
Paraphrasing, he said they don’t deserve a second chance, a head start, or a fair shake…

The same thing applies here; unless you want to feel movement after slurping up a big spoonful o’ Wheaties…
ETA:
Metaphorically speaking, of course.
Enjoy your breakfast.
:bug:

Forget about mainstream media shows. Get these people on open mic night at comedy clubs nationwide.

1 Like

I recall watching a made-for-TV sci-fi movie back in the late 70s. Some conflict within a (semi?)autonomous space station community (with its own laws and governance) and with Earth authorities somehow. Anyway, there was a debate on the space station, televised to all on board. As speakers spoke, AI-generated text would pop up at the bottom of the viewers’ screens, providing facts clarifying or contradicting the speakers in real-time. I thought that was interesting then; much more so now.

4 Likes

Let me see if I have this right: if you know a liar is going to lie, it’s ok to give them a forum to lie as long as you call them a liar.

I have a much simpler solution: Don’t invite them on the show.

5 Likes

And then

1 Like

7 Likes

Anyone trying to have these people on their show or “debate” them is going to learn about the Gish Gallop.

This is a tactic invented by creationist Duane Gish when talking to scientists. He would lure them into debates, then spew a constant stream of lies and incorrect statements at a rate too fast to counter each one.

It leverages the fact that it takes much less time to speak a lie than to debunk it, so if you speak enough lies, the other person has no hope of correcting them all, and the audience hears a bunch of unchallenged lies. Republicans have used this tactic for years, no doubt borrowed from the creationists among them.

The only way to win is not to play. The Skeptic community has learned this with creationists the hard way. You cannot “win” no matter how smart and prepared you are. They will always win by exploiting your platform and naive “interviewers” like this YouTuber always think they can outsmart the Gish Gallop. You can’t.

The only solution is deplatforming. Do not amplify crazy in a vain attempt to “debate” it. We must marginalize it. Speaking to it legitimizes it.

7 Likes

That’s basically whataboutism in real time, cranked up to 11. You’re absolutely right, not playing is the only way to win. If it’s a formal debate, the moderator needs to step in to keep it on-topic.

1 Like

It’s more than that. The points can all be on topic, but misleading. Try watching formal creationist debates (there are many online). Even the best moderator is no match for a Gallop. The bottom line is that live public debate is the wrong format for sorting out complex ideas, and con men have learned how to exploit that format mismatch.

The real danger is that well intentioned smart people think they can win these debates and thus keep getting sucked into them. So the answer to the larger question of this thread is absolutely no, news programs should not be talking to GQP types.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.