Should mainstream media invite GQP on their shows? Yes, says Meidas Touch host, and this is how

Originally published at: Should mainstream media invite GQP on their shows? Yes, says Meidas Touch host, and this is how | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Also time lag things 20 seconds and be prepared to flash up a big “LIAR” sign over their impish white faces when the stupid starts coming.

9 Likes

And yet Meiselas fails/refuses to acknowledge that these GOP idiots will not even come on these shows if they know they’re going to be seriously challenged on their talking points

16 Likes

Sounds good. Then rewind the world about 20 years and confront the last Big Lie that led us into two illegal wars and a global campaign of state-sponsored terrorism. Hint: the Big Lie was “security”, but the threat wasn’t in Afghanistan or Iraq, it was already inside the house.

21 Likes

American corporate media outlets just aren’t designed to shut down guests like he suggests, especially if those guests are “respectable” conservative politicians like Lindsey Graham or Rand Paul. That’s even more true about the Sunday morning Beltway circle-jerk shows hosted by empty suits like Stephanopoulos.

If a guest makes a bald-faced lie unsupported by the facts (not BS, but an outright lie) he’s showing disrespect to the host, the viewers, and the outlet’s owners. That should be grounds for losing that platform permanently . But the American MSM, with its self-serving and craven pretense to objectivity and its reliance on access journalism and its addiction to sensational shoutfests, will never do that.

20 Likes

I think I’m at the “I don’t give’a fu#k” stage of the whole GQP/Qnuts thingy…

14 Likes

Still want a “thanks I hate it” button next to “like”

8 Likes

What is GQP? GOP QAnnon (Something?)

5 Likes

It’s the love child of tRump and whatever scum you can scrape off the bottom of the barrel TGOP/QGOP/Qnuts.

You’re welcome.

8 Likes

Oh, I get it - you replace the O with a Q because they look similar. Damn, I feel daft today.

7 Likes

No issues, my marvelous fabulous gay neighbors thinks the Q stands for Queer, who am I to set that straight. Pun intended.

14 Likes

I have a solution

3 Likes

Or if they do shut them down, then the GQP gets to act offended and bitch about liberal bias.

6 Likes

Could turn into a sticky situation.

3 Likes

All those Sunday morning Beltway shows need to go away. C’mon people, don’t you have anything better to do on a Sunday than watch insidious political crap?

3 Likes

They’ll complain anyway, of course. What is so stupid is that the networks know this, and it’s an open secret that the GOP repeat guests (off the record) tend to apologize for what they’ve done with the explanation that they’re in on the game the networks are playing.

The other dumb thing is that none of this is necessary – there is nothing sacred about the format. The ratings are piddling. People in DC rarely take them seriously. They could easily find other guests besides the usual suspects – DC is full of more interesting and more candid spekers than the typical GOP Senator. They could just as easily inform viewers by having knowledgable people talk about what the GOP says and what they really think.

These things don’t exist because the network news execs are some kind of super-smart number crunchers. They exist because the news execs are dumb and bad at numbers.

3 Likes

Normal advertisers also stay away. The ads are basically corporate lobbying from companies like ADM and Raytheon aimed at the DC viewers who actually care about what happens on the wankfest show. There’s a claim that they’re part of the broadcast networks’ public service mandate, but that’s obvious BS.

The shows are relics that should have been shut down when David Brinkley retired or when Chyron Cokie was a little too obvious about the lack of journalistic commitment.

3 Likes

So the “overwhelmingly sheltered personal privilege” part. Must be nice.

tumblr_pazwkuyQPl1vwl1l5o1_500

7 Likes

The problem is that ever since the 2016 election, the media has believed they were “giving them rope” when in fact they were just “handing them the mic”.

13 Likes