Showoff driver smashes classic car and a brick wall

There’s soo many jokes about how the end of car meets is dangerous to mustangs.
Not just them, classic American muscle cars also, as after all the video is of a vintage Chevelle.
But they tend to be seen as the worst newer sports car because they’re affordable power, low on additional features, rear wheel drive, without much to any traction control depending on the package and build year.
And they seem to attract a certain sort of person who believes they can control it without the perquisite experience of actually doing so.

https___artofgears.com_files_2016_04_2016.4.12-Ford-Mustang-Memes-2

thumb_ust-another-mustang-leaving-the-meet-mustang-leaving-car-show-48845827
d9e8613e2bb45e6ae734656ef29899a1--ford-mustangs-the-internet
12963415_10209242058514385_230293885343905465_n

6 Likes

That last one made me chuckle.

2 Likes

If someone needs traction control to avoid crashing while driving in a straight line, they perhaps are too incompetent to drive that car.

Modern cars are filled with computer controls so that modern drivers can be bad at driving and still go very fast. It is often a poor combination. I guess the argument is ‘people will drive fast anyway, so we should save them from killing themselves.’ That’s a reasonable argument - and as I see more and more trauma at work as people drive faster and faster the last two years, it makes a certain kind of sense. But I often wonder if a minivan with 300 hp capable of going 130mph is an acceptable vehicle to be sold.

4 Likes

Not to mention putting sidewalks so close to the street. If somebody had been walking right there they would have gotten blood all over that custom lacquer paint job.

4 Likes

Reduce Reuse Reow

4 Likes

Stability control is I think the proper word. Different thing. I misspoke earlier.

Nowadays it comes standard but most new drivers think it’s no fun and either turn it off or put it into “sport mode” where it’s present but not as aggressively so.
In order to floor such a car and keep it straight with ESC off, you need to learn how to counter steer first, to offset the fishtailing, and that’s where the real problem comes in. Its lower price attracts younger drivers who think it can’t be that hard… then often learn the hard way.

3 Likes

A modern Lexus also has traction control, anti-lock brakes, airbags, crumple zones, three-point safety harnesses, vehicle dynamics control, and various sensors to prevent you from hitting walls without serious effort.

4 Likes

Oh goodness no. This was discussed in the previous BB thread on this, but there’s at least a blower and a lumpy cam clearly audible in the clip. This car is very likely north of 700 hp.

This is a full restomod, so there’s likely very little original Chevelle left under there. Suspension is probably modern coil-overs, for example, so it would drive like any modern car. The differential locked up properly as evidenced from the dual tire smoke, so really all he had to was wait one more beat after the turn before getting on the power to let it hook up properly. Or don’t drive like a dick on public streets. That’s be even better.

16 Likes

Dr. Darwin will see you now.

2 Likes

I think that is a big part of the problem when someone who might have driven a real Chevelle in their younger years ends up owning a car like this. Modern suspension and tires are much better at gripping the pavement that anything that vehicle had on it from the factory. Doing a lazy burn out isn’t that hard when your tires don’t grip all that well. But if you need +500 hp to break traction the car is going to want to go, not just smoke tires.

5 Likes

With great power comes great opportunities for Internet humor.

3 Likes

But… that’s a Camaro.

They’re not wrong, but you really need to find safe spaces under varying weather conditions to experiment and learn the vehicle handling.

3 Likes

But… that’s a Camaro.

Maybe Car Club is like Fight Club.
When they die they all become a Mustang.

3 Likes

We don’t talk about either of those things.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.