#Shutdown to end, Senate votes to reopen government, #Dreamers in limbo

The vote is right here, 42 Democrats voted against cloture, they filibustered.

2 Likes

I think this counts as a short-term win for the Democrats but they gave up a big opportunity.

The Democrats spent much of Obama’s term railing against the GOP for using government shutdowns to try and force policy concessions. The Democrats had an opportunity to brand themselves as the party of responsible government and refuse to do the same by insisting on a clean CR.

It doesn’t matter that the Democrats’ objective was far more noble and justified, they had an opportunity to draw a clear distinction where they’d gain the moral high ground and they gave it up.

1 Like

Y’know those hypothetical questions you sometimes ask yourself, where you wonder what you’d do if an unjust government were to begin rounding up huge numbers of harmless people and shipping them off to prison work camps?

What was your answer?

6 Likes
4 Likes

Looks like you have to upload the image rather than linking to it. See below for a red-hot fox!

220px-Fox_study_6

4 Likes

It’s not like they gave a huge extension…

Obstructionist much? Here’s what Repubs said about Obama’s agenda

“The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.” - Mitch Mcconnell - 2008

"We’re going to do everything — and I mean everything we can do — to kill it, stop it, slow it down, whatever we can.” - John Boehner - 2008

The reason Mcconnell didn’t nuke the majority rule is because he knew the pendulum is going to swing back at him.

Is all fair in love and politics?

3 Likes

Dems win either way in this scenario.

Dems: See we compromised and put and end to the shutdown.

if the GOP honors the promises to protect dreamers and immigration…Dems: see, we got them to see our side of things.
if the GOP goes back on its promises…Dems: See the GOP are liars and their word is garbage.

8 Likes

Fixed that for you. The problem is that half of the country doesn’t care that they’re liars and a third of the country actively celebrates the lies if they upset liberals, minorities, women, and/or Dems.

I appreciate the positive spin that people here are trying to put on this, but the moment the Dems let the GOP place the blame for the shutdown on them (as Legislative minority) they gave up a lot of ground.

5 Likes

Beautiful! And thank you! :grin:

You are not wrong. I am merely stating how it will be spinned (spun? spunned? spenned? :slight_smile:slight_smile:

Honestly…the big issue for me is that the GOP controls all 3 parts of the legislative branch and there was a shutdown. it’s on them. period.

3 Likes

Collaboration is resistance.

–George Orwell

2 Likes

and @gracchus the GOP is already walking back…

3 Likes

They’re all taking their toys and going home.

4 Likes

Hey. Honestly we have a god damn toddler as the sittngboresident I really don’t blame everyone else for acting like chcilfren either at this point.

It sucks for the rest of us.

It’s why I am all about voting blue across the board to wipe out any of the GOP we can. Then see what happens. I feel it’s at least a good start.

3 Likes

What was the first clue?

Republican leaders say they want a humane solution to the problem.

Isn’t that what the white supremacists say when they talk about removing non-whites, but are coy about the whole Final Solution thing?

6 Likes

Painless mass euthanasia?

I mean it’s not like they haven’t already burned their own party members after the Corporate Tax Breaks bill was passed. (When McTurtle promised Collins and Murkowski a vote on healthcare and then walked that back like the next day).

And that was less than one month ago.

3 Likes

The reason CHIP wasn’t mentioned is because it would give away the game–people who actually believe the government does useful stuff can’t take hostages. There are few government functions that Republicans actually care about, and they are among the last functions to be cut, like Defense. In a shutdown, everything will get shut down before Defense, and everything that’s shut down has just turned into another hostage for Republicans.

3 Likes