Signs that You're Addicted to BoingBoing BBS

Hmmmm… Text to speech reader for the bbs

8 Likes

You autocorrect no longer wants to change bbs to bus.

26 Likes

When your “time-out” is over, and you almost feel you are up to speed on most things…

11 Likes

You’ve using the Tabs Groups add-on, and you have a whole group devoted to the BBS. (275 tabs. Time to clean house.)

6 Likes

Snarking on people in meatspace > snarking online. So much fun.

Judging by the way people drive, I’m not so sure they take a break. But I’m sure the homicidal scatterbrains are all on other lesser sites o_O

12 Likes

I don’t use my phone for anything but navigation and letting it run my podcasts when I drive, because I’m not a suicidal/homicidal moron. I’ve even set it up to be mostly eyes-free. No texting or anything.

11 Likes

As someone who commutes almost exclusively on a motorcycle (meaning I lose in any collision), you have my sincere thanks for that.

14 Likes

Glad to do my part. It’s not like my car is padded and cuddly on the outside. Especially not at freeway speeds.

9 Likes

Those are the best kind.

I actually am a bit of the hedonist I come across as, but I’m also extremely self-disciplined. I take the approach that maximal enjoyment requires restraint. Gluttony is the enemy of sensuality, IMO.

9 Likes

When you can’t even remember your login details, because you’re not actually ever logged out.

27 Likes

[Deleted for deviant tendencies; don’t cheat kids, stay in skool…]

4 Likes

When you realise that when replying to a work email, your first response involves looking for appropriate .gifs

24 Likes

I went looking to buy some of these signs at the BB store, couldn’t find them.

[quote=“GulliverFoyle, post:67, topic:88632”]
As someone who commutes almost exclusively on a motorcycle (meaning I lose in any collision)[/quote]

On my morning commute I regularly deal with pedestrians, mopeds, bicycles, roller skates, skateboards, hoverboards, and segways. I think a motorbike beats all these in a collision. (I hate my morning commute.)

12 Likes

Not exactly. The danger in a collision on a bike isn’t so much in hitting the other vehicle, it’s when you bounce off it and hit the pavement or median. While the kinetic energy is less, a biker is still much less likely to walk away from a collision with anything or anyone than someone in a steel cage with emergency air bags.

But you make a solid point. Driving safely is everyone’s responsibility. Cars and trucks, however, seem to give a lot of people a (false) sense of invulnerability largely absent for exposed commuters.

10 Likes

Well, if you hit a bicycle or even a moped, they’re going to bounce at least as hard as you, through the miracle of inertia.

I think motorcycles have the highest percentage of careful drivers. Bicycles next, though there is a pretty substantial subset of cyclists who engage in all kinds of bad behavior and feed the beliefs of bike-hating drivers with actual ammunition. 15 years ago I would have put pedestrians next, but nowadays most pedestrians seem to walk around staring at some fascinating object in their hand and pay little attention to what they’re doing.

Skateboarders are my current gripe; today I was passed on my left by a skateboarder while i was driving in heavy traffic.

I think the diversty of traffic, all moving at different speeds, is more of a threat to safety than automobile drivers’ sense of invulnerability. Most drivers don’t want to hit bicycles or motorcycles or even skateboarders, even if they know they won’t get hurt too much. I know it doesn’t always seem that way when you’re the one not in the car.

8 Likes

When you get a temporary time-out

12 Likes

When you propose a kickstarter to open a safe.

22 Likes

When your Google search history is heavily weighted towards My Little Pony gifs.

17 Likes

Celebrating the Cubs’ victory? :wink:

When everyone on the bbs knows which team you are or are NOT rooting for!

(Although I’m very happy for them. Now maybe they’ll stop being such poor losers? I kid, I kid…)

11 Likes

When you request a temporary timeout.

Edit: e.g.

25 Likes