Signs that You're Addicted to BoingBoing BBS

When you know that cycling discussions should be directed to the #wrath category.

21 Likes

When you can recite more than one member’s usual talking points on certain subjects, practically ver batim.

24 Likes

When you’ve taken up mocking BB ad copywriting as a kind of hobby.

24 Likes

When you know to “abandon thread” if the topic starts veering towards “discussion” of knife sharpening techniques.

23 Likes

When you type “B” into your browser’s address line and the BBS automatically opens up.

30 Likes

When you can tell who published a given article based on the title.

27 Likes

When you feel compelled to ask if Rob Ford is dead whenever you have the opportunity.

26 Likes

When someone asks you a question, and the only, and best, answer that comes to mind is a GIF*.

halting, stutterstep ‘G’ flushed with Essence of Coriander and filleted in 3/4 oz strips, laid alongside an effortless but sour ‘F’

And, many of those times, it’s this GIF specifically:

21 Likes

I can say I’ve been on here way more than Facebook, of late (i.e. the closer we get to Election Day).

11 Likes

when you don’t even know that the BBS is only the forum for some blog-like site

23 Likes

And then suggest opening a thread to discuss it.

15 Likes

I never got the Facebook bug. Signed up, reconnected with a handful of folks, now I check it at least twice a year. This place is my drug of choice.

14 Likes

When you’ve :heart:'ed someone because of their hotdog condiment preference.

19 Likes

Is Rob Ford dead? When did that happen?

27 Likes

When you know you’d die on that hill for someone based on their hotdog condiment choices beliefs.

17 Likes

Oh no, I know they’re not trying to drive badly. It’s just that they have a higher chance of walking away from a collision than almost anyone not in a modern car. Which is fine, I’m glad cars are so much safer than they used to be. It just makes the danger less immediate.

Although I do have a car, I don’t drive it much unless it’s raining or really cold weather (which isn’t really an issue in Austin). Usually I’m on my bike or my bicycle. When I was younger and a poor college student in California, I made use of a longboard to land paddle my way to and from and around campus. Of course everyone didn’t have handheld computers then. Really that’s been the great detriment to road safety. I’m actually a little worried about the new biker helmets that have HUDs. Experienced riders do tend to be among the most careful people on the road, but a lot of newbie riders are still caught up the excitement of a bike’s freedom and the mindset of a car driver.

7 Likes

When people responding earnestly to @Modusoperandi make you chuckle almost as hard as his original post.

29 Likes

This place is far more interesting than FB.

12 Likes

When you know how to sign up for cake:

15 Likes

it kind of sucks that it’s not possible to deactivate the BBS-day marker. such a function should be a piece of cake to implement

eta: but it is possible to get both cakes!

21 Likes