Silver dollar herb grinder

[Permalink]

2 Likes

I had never thought of cleaning a grinder like that. I have an expensive Al one that is caked enough to try.

4 Likes

As an owner of a Santa Cruz, it is one of the best ones I have ever used. The multiple start screw sections for the top half and pollen catcher are a huge bonus. Most of the cheaper Al grinders are only single start.

2 Likes

Clearly, strictly for kitchen use on tasty cooking herbs…
(wink wink, cough cough, etc.)

2 Likes

Everclear is just great. Any grinding or combustion apparatus gets a mason jar bath at least monthly. I dip a Qtip and swab out the insides of my vape as well.

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t want little bits of cheap chrome flaking off into my… parsley.

2 Likes

Eisenhower dollars weren’t silver–they were the same cupro-nickel clad coins that modern dimes and quarters are made from (though the mint did put out silver collectible variety, just like the mint continues to do so today for dimes and quarters). There were no silver varieties released into circulation.

(cough, cough, cough-cough, cough-cough-cough-cough-cough, wink)

Where I am in the northeast, there is no Everclear, but there is Graves. I try to always keep some on hand for cleaning and/or extracts.

2 Likes

Sorry, it just looks like crap

Yep, I saw 1977 and thought “Wait a gosh darn minute!”

I have the “Peace Dollar” with Liberty (not this nice)

And I have the walking Liberty half dollars, which are a very very nice design

3 Likes

I heat mine up over the gas stove (holding it in BBQ tongs) until it starts smoking, inhale it in (it can smoke for ages) and dust off when cooled.

1 Like

Ok. You guys have me convinced I am wasting a lot of good material by buying cheap grinders and throwing them away. Everclear here I come.

4 Likes

Dude, you are harshing my buzz.

1 Like

It can be hit or miss in New England thanks to the last vestiges of Blue Laws. At least as of a decade ago, I seem to recall it being easy to find in MA and ME, but couldn’t find it at all in Northern CT. They make you sign a form in VT attesting you’re not going to use it for drinking.

I am in southern CT. It’s not easy to find, but it’s around. It used to be really easy for me because we sold the stuff from my work, and the caps often split open in transit. So for years I had an unlimited supply of quality cleaning fluid. Grain alcohol really is my favorite all-purpose cleaner. It sanitizes and is healthier to have around than ammonia or bleach. Yet, I have heard quite a few stories of people with alcohol poisoning having their stomachs pumped. So I can sort of understand the reluctance to have it out there, since people are never taught how to use it responsibly.

2 Likes

I’m in upstate NY. It’s been available for a few years now. I think they wrote down my drivers license number and made me aware that I could only buy one bottle a day.

Was doing some expanding foam insulating around a new window and door yesterday and got some on me (forgot my gloves). Soaked a paper towel in it and cleaned up nicely.

Anything that cleans up expanding foam should definitely not be ingested.

1 Like

It’s also great for culinary infusions and for making things like room sprays. I used to be able to get the 190 proof stuff in Kentucky; it was notorious for being used by fraternities to make “punch” – one bathtub full of Kool-Aid plus one bottle of Everclear was all you’d need for a party. I remember a friend of mine doing a shot of the stuff on a dare; he couldn’t feel his tongue for a day or so afterwards.

1 Like

At my high school, we used 98% ethanol for UV spectroscopy. List price way more expensive, but actual price was rather “affordable” due to the ability to nick a bottle from the lab.

And yes, the undiluted stuff is vile.

2 Likes

Ok, this is getting off topic from herb grinders, but I have to share this story.

In my high school Chem III class, we had a lab where we distilled grain to make ethyl alcohol. We sprouted corn, made a mash, and made little stills from tubing and flasks, then tested the proof; our grade was based on the proof we ended up with. I think I got 85% or something like that. After we’d all tested proof and finished, our teacher looked at his watch and said, “Well, gee, looks like there’s a few minutes left in class. I’m going to head to the teacher’s lounge. I trust that everyone will dispose of their alcohol in the best way possible,” winked, and left. Of course we all drank the stuff. It was horrible, but wow, it was potent. Good thing there wasn’t much of it!

6 Likes