Sinead O'Connor threatens to sue Miley Cyrus

For what it’s worth, you could argue that “Wrecking Ball” has some merit in that it makes the Internet more compliant with Rule 34, Subsection: Construction Equipment.

At least that’s what I assumed was going on the first time I saw it.

1 Like

No one has enough arms to wave a hard-bound OED!

1 Like

You’re slicing and dicing now. There is scant difference between characterized by transition and transient.

I get what you are doing though. (Don’t particularly like it,)

Now everyone with the “I was only kidding.”

I was the sensitive kid, still am.

Buy I can play along better now.

Transient: temporary or impermanent.

Transition: moving from one state or place to another.

Slice and dice? I SLAP CHOP you.

3 Likes

Thanks for ignoring my peevishness.

‘pedantry’. (What’s the transitively self-aware emoticon?)

3 Likes
because O'Connor's work has the unusual distinction of being real

She didn’t write “Nothing Compares 2 U”, or direct the video. O’Conner isn’t more real than Cyrus. Maybe she triggers the emotion of feeling “real”, but that isn’t the same.

I recommend reading Slavoj Žižek’s Welcome to the Desert of the Real, or the Orson Wells movie F for Fake to explore the concept of “realness”.

1 Like

Good sources, but I’d recommend this instead.

Rob stands on a high seat of white male privilege and scoffs at the petty “Game of Crones” he sees beneath him. His ego is fed by denigrating others and so is his wallet. He belittles both of these women while ignoring facts (Cyrus did not just post a pic of O’Connor ripping a Pope-pic, she also retweeted messages from O’Connor asking for mental help), so that he can call his article edgy.

Shame on you, Rob.

2 Likes

Badger. Badger. Badger. Snake!.

Cyrus knew that O’Connor could be easily turned from “concerned mom” into a tower of sanctimonious, threat-issuing anger, and that’s exactly what Cyrus accomplished. And if you are in any doubt about how good she is at the Game of Crones, remember that she did it with a couple of tweets.

Gotta say, I liked it better before. Game of Crones? Really?

Is that the “game” of dredging up someone’s mental anguish from 2 years ago to humiliate them in front of your millions of followers? Ha ha. Serves that 47 year old hag right! Anyone up for some Smear the Queer next! Good times!

And she managed that in just a couple of tweets? That Miley Cyrus is like some kind of super media ninja mastermind. Not a run of the mill bully who happens to have a huge audience. No, no, no. A NINJA!

3 Likes

Have you heard the rest of that album? All much better songs that she wrote… of course that’s just an opinion. It just happened that the American public liked Nothing Compares 2 You, a prince song. Which isn’t a bad song, actually. But here is an example from the rest of that album:

Also, no one complains when folk, gospel, jazz, or blues singers for singing songs other people write. Why do that for pop singers in connecting them to authenticity? Plenty of great pop songs were not written by the people who made them the most popular… Was Hendrix a poseur for performing All Along the Watch Tower? Shall we run John Cale out of town on a rail for performing Cohen’s Hallelujah? How dare Big Mama Thornton perform, so very admirably, Hound Dog…

I think my point is (and maybe you agree?) is that realness or authenticity as concepts are generally false in a mass produced spectacle society. Real, I’d argue, is made in the course of everyday life, and is in the eye of the beholder.

1 Like

I think Rob may be trying to say, in a kind of faux-academese way, that we live in the future now, and Cyrus knows how to promote herself in its futuristic ways, and O’Connor no longer knows how to play the Fame Game. But yeah, I think your point is still a good one.

1 Like

I haven’t watched SNL in a long time. If Cyrus is going to shave her head, stand up on stage in a white dress and tear up a picture of something, I’ll likely tune in just to see if there is a shred of creativity in the choice of photo. Te rest is just obvious.

What??

I spend too much time online. :-/

2 Likes

Do you have any idea at all how show business operates? None, right?

Cyrus will have a phalanx of media people with hundreds of analysts backing them. This is big money, people, big fuckin’ money, and the wheels are turning, and the money’s comin’ in.

Cyrus the person is not a ninja. Cyrus the money funnel is. A big, smart, fast-moving, influential media fucking ninja.

OMG. You and Milliefink - either the the cuttingest edge, or jeez, lotsatimeonline!

The vid is funny.