Sister Swap are two different Hallmark Christmas movies made from the same footage

Or if Clint Eastwood’s Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima had shared a bunch of the same footage.

5 Likes

Harmon points out that the weird thing is that usually a “her said/she said” film shows that different characters remember things differently. But that’s not the case here. We’re literally seeing two films set at the same time, focusing on different characters, but there’s no change to the shared scenes?
It’s like the smallest shared cinematic universe, and that’s neat.

2 Likes

I really love that, for all the advanced Hollywood special effects that James Cameron had at his disposal, he chose to make use of two different sets of identical twins for Terminator 2.

11 Likes

A friend of mine who has to endure those movies, for family reasons, said he was impressed by the increased diversity on display this year. Two movies with all-Black casts, one with an all-Asian cast, and one that was about two guys getting together.

He did say that they were all awful, but in the same way that every Hallmark holiday movie is terrible, not for any specific racist or homophobic reason.

13 Likes

Makes me think of the evergreen joke that gets more accurate every year:

Q: What has 18 actors, four settings, three writers, and one plot?

A: 651 Hallmark Christmas movies.

22 Likes

Diversity and inclusion is a big improvement, even when the content itself is milquetoast a/f.

As for being ‘forced’ to watch any of that tripe out of a sense of obligation to a loved one, screw that; I served my my time already, watching horrid excuses for “women’s entertainment” with my mom on Lifetime when I was a preteen.

NEVER AGAIN.

16 Likes

I have two friends who do a lot of work for Hallmark — one as an actor, one on makeup. Certainly not the hardest or most fulfilling work, but it’s consistent and pays well and they do try to mix it up ever so slightly every now and then, so I’ll give them credit for that.

12 Likes

Yeah, I’ve worked in the industry for a small special effects house and the company owner much preferred taking that kind of job than the big Hollywood blockbuster productions. Production houses that crank out movies or TV shows at a rapid pace are much more businesslike about it and tend to pay their bills on time without a lot of haggling and drama. The major studios like to screw over the small contractors with unreasonable last-minute change requests and whatnot.

8 Likes

Also, Kevin bacon was in Jayne Mansfield’s Car with John Hurt who was in Even Cowgirls Get The Blues with Crispin Glover whose father is Bruce Glover whose father, Herbert Homan Glover was an identical twin.

8 Likes

I work in live theater and dance. I’ve lost count of how many productions of The Nutcracker I’ve worked on, so I totally get it.

9 Likes

Max Greenfield Reaction GIF by CBS

6 Likes

Well, that’s fine as long as the cast and crew are aware of the plan. Otherwise, it’s The Three Musketeers/The Four Musketeers scenario all over again!

I’m sure actors are just thrilled about that idea. :grimacing:

6 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

Yeah brainstorming the possibilities is really fun. I really like the idea for like a more full drama and a comedy or something, an action and a mystery/crime maybe, you know like there could be something heavy the two sisters share but the different movies contextualize it separately with their relationships being shown at different points, different pov, different paces. It’s fun to think about.

It’s just a shame that Hallmark movies are otherwise so basic and risk averse that people aren’t even sure these were intentionally done that way because it’s really kind of a cool concept.

9 Likes

Totally! Like, even in the “he said, she said,” example where the remembered scenes were slightly different, I can imagine a film schedule where you know this one scene will be one way, then we just reset and film again with those slight alterations for the other POV.
Still makes for a really cool movie making approach that can try to get at the story from both sides while not costing as much as filming 2 separate movies.
A Tesla (the scientist)/Edison version springs to mind, because they’ve both been so well documented and interacted so much, there would be ample opportunity for ‘dual scenes.’

8 Likes

I think this is what made me :dizzy_face: trying to watch Echoes, except it’s shorter:

I haven’t finished it, because each episode leaves me asking myself WTH just happened, and to whom.

10 Likes

It’s research. Latest Rick and Morty is literally just a rear headshot of 2 people watching TV for 30 minutes.

2 Likes

Yet another ploy to increase Hallmark viewership, seeking the elusive Rick and Morty audience and Dan Harmon is in cahoots.

I’ll also take any opportunity to share this JD Ryznar/Dan Harmon episode from another era - Dan Harmon Visits with JD Ryznar

How do they switch places? They’re not identical twins and if didn’t know they were sisters I wouldn’t even realize that.