Site promises to teach your parrot to recite the Communist Manifesto

Originally published at: Site promises to teach your parrot to recite the Communist Manifesto | Boing Boing

6 Likes

OMG, if I was a birb person I would totally name it Comrade Crackers!

(I like birbs, just not in captivity.)

10 Likes

So that you can return to a polyshevik revolution in progress?

9 Likes

Parrots, united, shall never be defeated.

5 Likes

I seriously doubt these things work-- they used to sell those “teach your bird” LPs, and my impression was the bird needs a living human connection to recognize it as communication. There may be some exceptions, like mynah birds. (Not that I’m an expert, cue the birders to set me straight in 3… 2… 1…)

That said, it would be kinda funny to hear standard communist quotes coming from a bird all the time.

“Bwaaawk workers of the world unite!! The history of society is the history of class struggles! BWaaawk bwaaawk!”

4 Likes

It’s not the same unless it’s read in the original German.

5 Likes

Give me a go with a crow and Errico Malatesta’s Anarchy and I’ll see what I can do

If that succeeds then I’ll try Kropotkin’s The Conquest of Bread. Crows already understand mutual aid so it might work.

8 Likes

Yeah, right.

Maybe not.

No kidding.

By the same logic, leaving a tv or radio on would result in the parrot babbling whatever was played.
It doesn’t work that way. It’s just background noise, as far as the bird is concerned.
Now, the bird might pick up small snippets if they were played over & over & over, but the bird won’t memorize the whole thing in one listen, any more than a human would.

1 Like

If stand-up is left repeating all day, will the bird learn to recognize a joke?

4 Likes

Squawktober Revolution

3 Likes

The Walking Dead Giggles GIF by The Paley Center for Media

3 Likes

Takes me back to one of the classic and most beloved moments ever on the Italian detective show “Inspectore Montalbano” when the Inspectore was interviewing the parents of young witness to a violent crime who worked in a bank. It turned out the folks were committed lefties who’d always known no good could come of banks:

2 Likes
1 Like

a crow tried to talk to me a few weeks ago

it could imitate a human voice pretty well, but it had no concept of words

2 Likes

Even if it was from the parrotariate?

2 Likes
3 Likes

That could probably be done.

Remember the car alarms that would rotate through four different patterns? I once heard a mockingbird sing them. I felt sorry for that bird.

1 Like

No, but the bird would probably learn some new laughs.
Depends on the bird, though. Even among species that are known for their talking ability, some are better than others.
I think playing the same thing over & over & over would at least be boring, if not annoying… or worse.
It’s a wonder more Ice Cream Truck drivers don’t crack from the strain…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.