Skateboarding downhill at not quite 70 MPH

So you’re really saying that the cameraperson was Ginger Rogers to his Fred Astaire?

But they may have been on a bicycle or motorbike. (?)

ETA - yeah there was a slight screech of tyres slipping on one of those very tight bends.

3 Likes

The camera was almost certainly on a motorcycle.

2 Likes

You can see how much shorter than U.S. ones they are at the beginning of the video.

When setting off he covers the length of one in two or three steps, not particularly strident.

3 Likes

6 or 7 is WAY too imprecise for Switzerland. (aside from the measurements being in meters and not feet).

5 Likes

The spaces are certainly longer than 6ft, but the lines are not much longer than that. I estimated 40 MPH on the basis of 18ft total between each line/space pair during what seemed like the fastest part of the run.

SO. There’s a sign saying it’s 27 km to Lucerne, another for Wolfenschiessen, and a school at the foot of the run, which means we’re on this road called the Oberrickenbachstrasse, starting here:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/46.889043338941825,+8.41707109761549?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiQifPyirbyAhXrMlkFHXl9B5gQ8gF6BAgCEAE

The Google Street View images are distorted in much the same way as the video near the edge of the frame, making close-up estimation difficult, but from comparison to cars and other objects it’s clear the lines are only a few feet long. If anything, 6ft lines (18ft including space) strike me as on the generous side of correct :slight_smile:

Check out this 15ft long Merdeces A class, in hot pursuit of the googlecar on the Oberrickenbachstrasse

In any case, that’s a 3.7km journey in 4 minutes, which means he’s going about 35MPH.

6 Likes

The kids on Page Mill Road in Palo Alto do this with such regularity I stopped being surprised by it. I’d be more upset if I were headed downhill & stuck behind these X-treme Dudes.

1 Like

Thanks! And color me embarrassed by my poor reading comprehension!

1 Like

Road bike. The noise @anothernewbbaccount noticed was not tires but was brakes. Mine make that exact noise when the toe-in isn’t adjusted quite right.

I could hold a good line on him and keep him in frame and I’m not particularly fast.

You would hear a motorcycle.

5 Likes

Even though there was no impact with the car, I think I would have been emotionally traumatized had I been driving the car and suddenly seeing an unprotected human hurtling at insane speeds toward me, around a blind corner, while hunkered down lower than the hood of my car.

I thought YouTube had a policy against videos of people doing outrageously dangerous stunts. Had this been a closed road, fine. But clearly it wasn’t.

Don’t post content on YouTube if it fits any of the descriptions noted below.

• Extremely dangerous challenges : Challenges that pose an imminent risk of physical injury."
2 Likes

That’s terrifying. It’s been a while since I lived out that way, but from what I recall just driving down Page Mill normally is already frustrating. :stuck_out_tongue: Of course, getting to Schaub’s for some Fred Steak makes it worthwhile…

There was an odd noise on the video right at the end when they stopped, which sounded like it was coming from whatever the follower was riding.

Hmmm. I hear what you’re referring to but my guess would be it’s from the red car that’s parked there. It has lights on so presumably is occupied and on.

1 Like

Maybe it’s just a typo and the title’s meant to say 70 kilometers per hour. That seems closer and he might get close to that on some stretches.

2 Likes

If only social media companies actually enforced any of their policies with any sort of regularity. They’re like stop and frisk laws- only there to make sure everyone is “guilty” when needed so the authorities can pick who is on the platform.

2 Likes

Yeah, 40 mph would be 64.4 kph.

1 Like

one more thing: i haven’t skateboarded in decades, but what witchcraft is applied to boards now where they don’t get speed wobbles? i used to get them going much, much, much, much, MUCH slower than him.

3 Likes

His brakes are his wheels when he slides the board sideways or at least slides out the back end. The pucks on his gloves just allow him to get low enough to perform those speed checks and slides. You can come to a full stop with a slide.

4 Likes

ooo, here’s what seems to be a decently in-depth article

5 Likes

I was like this has to be a closed road, then nope along came a car…

1 Like

He can’t go 70 MPH there, anyway. That’s not allowed on that road. My estimate is that he wasn’t exceeding 31 MPH.

In Switzerland, you stick to the rules.

4 Likes