Skiier's incredible video of a massive avalanche at Utah's Sundance Resort

Originally published at: Skiier's incredible video of a massive avalanche at Utah's Sundance Resort | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Fortunately, Gwyneth Paltrow has an iron-clad alibi this time.

15 Likes

Avalanche control at ski areas is pretty interesting.
They use a mix of hand thrown charges to set them off to keep them from being bigger, as well as at times using howitzers. Yep.
One time many years ago we got to Kirkwood for a day trip and ski patrol was doing minor avalanche duty along one of the ridges before the lifts opened. They were dropping charges as they skied across the ridge. When they dropped the last charge, the patrol person jumped down after it and skied the back of the moving snow. Crazy.

5 Likes

I’m gonna get video of this epic avalanche and I’m gonna do it in portrait mode and pan back and forth :roll_eyes:

13 Likes

I remember seeing something about this on a nature show as kid, firing the howitzer to create avalanches. Neat job!

2 Likes

Washington Dept. of Transportation used to have a pair of M60s for avy control along Stevens Pass:

4 Likes

I am old. I want people to stop saying Bro.

2 Likes

A few weeks ago up at the Alyeska resort in Alaska some disgruntled ski instructors made a giant dick in the snow above the resort. Nobody could get up there to obliterate it so it had to be blasted off the mountainside with explosives, making a decent avalanche. Unfortunately I didnt get a pic of that.

Alyeska

6 Likes

LOL. Amazing.

1 Like

SnowDickPic

1 Like

That can’t be good for the concrete!

3 Likes

They’re running road tracks, and probably only moved tham as necessary for firing angles.

Besides, knowing the condition of the Pass highway by spring from traffic and plowing, a couple of tanks wouldn’t make it much worse…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.