Slashdotter: I've had a pillcam stuck in my gut for 12 weeks and counting

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/18/cyborg-woes.html

3 Likes

So, it’s more like a traffic cam now?

6 Likes

Sounds like this dude is having a shit day

3 Likes

I’d say it’s a traffic cam and road barrier in one.

2 Likes

They should crush it next time.

1 Like

When I got a colonoscopy recently, I mentioned to the awesome nurse who did the procedure that I hoped she’d be the one to handle any future ones I’d need, and she laughed and said “I hope not! I’ve been doing these for almost thirty years. By the time you need your next one I sure hope they have pill-cams. It’s 2018 and we’re still diagnosing people by sticking cameras up their butts?”

11 Likes

I hope so

11 Likes

“Pics or it didn’t happen??”

3 Likes

It’s 1.02" long, maybe 0.5" wide?! That would take some effort to swallow, I think.

Just so long as they don’t find critters photo-bombing the pictures.

1 Like

Yeah i think i recall seeing one in a video and the pill seemed pretty non-trivial to swallow. But likely patients will be more willing to do so than take an endoscope down the throat or rectum

2 Likes

They couldn’t locate it? I’d expect there is some sort of communication with the cam that they could use to pinpoint it’s current location but I guess "Body-Positioning-System"™ is not a thing yet. But it should at least show up reliably on all types of scans right?

They should be able to find it without sending in a scope right? Just send in a second pill cam with live streaming features!

2 Likes

It’s too bad these things aren’t as foolproof and harmless as my naïve intuition tells me they are. I’d get a kick out of taking one of these recreationally. I’ve been all around the world, and yet I’ve never seen my own intestines!

Actually, there’s your selling point. Oh, you want to show me pictures of your sailing cruise around the Mediterranean? THEN I TOO HAVE SOME PHOTOS TO SHOW YOU.

6 Likes

At least the technology has improved greatly. Remember how big VHS tapes were? Yeah.

8 Likes

VHS, poo. That was nothing. Ampex was the way to go in the 60’s. Without anesthesia.

I feel for this guy.

1 Like

Given that my Crohn’s gives me strictures, I would rather have a camera on the end of a thing they can yank out, than a pillcam likely to get stuck/cause an intestinal blockage (those can be fatal).

5 Likes
3 Likes

Yeah, understood, absolutely. And unfortunately a pill-cam won’t eliminate (har har) the need for the worst part of a colonoscopy: the prep time to clean you out so that any camera can actually explore in there. Plus most colonoscopies include biopsies of any nodules they find, and a pill-cam can’t take samples.

3 Likes

Wait, Slashdot is still a thing?

1 Like

Red pill, blue pill, pillcam…

Very happy to see BB keeping up a long tradition of posts about home colonoscopy gear. I’m sure we’re all a little healthier for it.

2 Likes