Small gallery of DIY hazmat outfits

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/06/small-gallery-of-diy-hazmat-ou.html

1 Like

I really like this one from Hawaii:

19 Likes

Wow, going for the full neoprene suit rather than just the breathing apparatus really shows some dedication.

Too bad those systems don’t filter the exhaust in any way. So maybe safer for the user, but does nothing to prevent asymptotic people from exhaling the virus onto others.

Edit to add: they even have the snorkel attached to the mask…

10 Likes

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I find the ones where folks have a plastic bag over their heads to be particularly amusing (in a dark, Edward Gorey sort of way).

6 Likes

me right now (not even mad, this is amazing, how did they get the cat to accept it)

15 Likes

I’m really digging the whale shark camo that person has going on. Land shark??

2 Likes

baloney2

12 Likes

7 Likes

Man, I went out yesterday with a rolled up paint rag (plain white cloth) folded up like a bandana. Now I don’t feel so bad.

2 Likes
1 Like

I like how the other people in line with the brown-paper-bag person are just like “This is normal, and yup, I’m going to squeeze right up beside the next person in line.”

One of the reasons people say it’s good to wear masks even on sidewalks is that it reminds yourself and others that things are not normal, and triggers social-distancing. Clearly, though, that doesn’t work for everyone.

4 Likes

I was thinking that most of these would have efficacy similar to a surgical mask as compared to an N95: they stop the larger droplets that you exhale but don’t protect you from the smaller droplets you inhale.

2 Likes

Definitely a declawed cat.

That’s not true in this case. The air from a scuba tank should be perfectly safe to breathe provided that nobody was coughing into the air intake for the compressor that was used to fill it. Probably much safer for the user than an N95.

3 Likes

Fursuits! Our day for the furries to show the way!

Dammit, I wish I had a protogen fursuit right now.

5 Likes

I’ve been rocking a folded up bandana with hair ties for my ears, even though I have proper surgical mask/face shield combos. I just feel like people will think I’m hoarding if I roll out with more professional-looking gear.

3 Likes

The scarf really ties the outfit together.

8 Likes

Natural selection in real time.

1 Like

What’s kind of nutty about that is the fact that COVID can spread to cats and other animals it seems.

2 Likes

I hope people out in the world notice that our N95 masks are not exactly freshly hoarded medical supplies. We own two, which we use when cleaning the chicken coop. (And sadly, they look the part, even after cleaning as thoroughly as I dare.)

3 Likes