Smash Mouth wrote “All Star” to warn us about climate change & anti-intellectualism and we turned it into a meme

Originally published at: Smash Mouth wrote "All Star" to warn us about climate change & anti-intellectualism and we turned it into a meme | Boing Boing

3 Likes

It_All_Makes_Sense_Now

3 Likes

Pretty sure that’s not what the song is supposed to be about. If that’s your personal take-away, fine. Greg Camp has sole writing credits - he nor any of the other band members have ever indicated that it was anything more than a pop-punk anthem.

Also, let’s not forget that Smash Mouth performed a show at the Sturgis motorcycle rally at the height of the pandemic and said “Fuck this COVID shit!” to the crowd there.

Sorry/not-sorry, but this whole essay is a real stretch.

Edit: Apologies if this article was meant as satire, I’m not so sure after re-reading it.

9 Likes
4 Likes

Somehow this is exactly the handwriting I expected Steve Harwell to have.

6 Likes

Neat, legible and left-handed?

6 Likes

Ha ha only serious

It’s a very Discordian way of looking at it: a serious discussion, disguised as a joke, disguised as a serious essay.

5 Likes

I was thinking “dynamic and expressive all-caps block lettering with excited strokes and terminals”. For all that, it is indeed impressively legible.

1 Like

The days really don’t stop coming…

In Awe What GIF

3 Likes

there came unto him a Messenger of Our Lady who entrusted to him a Rigoletto cigar box containing many filing cards, some of them in packs with rubber bands around, and upon these cards were sometimes written verses, while upon others nothing was written.

3 Likes

You know, I actually liked their first album with Walking on The Sun on it.

Though I think my favorite song on there is actually Padrino. It’s fun, peppy, sort of an Italian Ska mash up.

Too bad he was a douche later in life.

6 Likes
2 Likes

Out of curiosity, why did you have a soft spot for him? He was a COVID denier, and reportedly ended his last show with a nazi salute.

Way to go out on a low note…

3 Likes

All snark and irony aside, Harwell was an anti-science anti-vax idiot.

2 Likes

yeah yeah we know seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Lovely piece, Thom!

Disregarding the last few years, where he clearly went deep end both socially and in his addiction struggles, I guess I appreciated his earnestness in being kind of a derpy dude who wasn’t particularly talented and just got really lucky with his success. And that instead of trying to prove himself to anyone as a deep artist, he really just embraced the retro-mod cover songs later in the band’s career. There were delusions there about the reason for Smash Mouth’s existence (until the other delusions reared their heads).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.