Smoking woman sprays gasoline on customer who warned her not to smoke around gas pumps

From the interview the signatures were given well after the arrest so they had time to sober up. They just had the camera crew on the ride alongs and would happily blot out anyone who didn’t sign if the footage was good.

2 Likes

Came to say this. Ninja’d by a friend :thumbsup:

5 Likes

Not that I know of. Most of the stuff is diluted at least 1:1 with water, 50/50 alcohol/water doesn’t burn.

2 Likes

Smoking around gasoline isn’t advisable, but it also is fairly low risk. Gasoline vapor is what is flammable, not the gas itself. Not that I would tempt fate by smoking when refueling, but the reality is, it is pretty rare. Just like cellphones or static discharge CAN cause a fire hazard when refueling too, but it is very rare.

So, perhaps complain to the manager, but I wouldn’t up the ante with what amounts to assault. Of course the main asshole showed why she was number one splashing gasoline with an open flame. That certainly is considerably more dangerous (as gas now has more area to turn into vapor) and yeesh - attempted murder maybe?

10 Likes

Truly, Zoolander is the cautionary tale of our generation.

9 Likes

Mu-wah-ha-ha-ha-ha! [Stealthily]

:wink:

4 Likes

[citation-needed]

6 Likes

Smiling mugshots look less guilty.

When it is inevitablely pulled up and used by the media, then you won’t automatically look like the thug\murderer\gas-slinging idiot

2 Likes

I’m fairly certain there’s a mythbusters episode about cellphones and gasoline.
And I’m pretty sure it was busted.

8 Likes

Ass move (smoking while pumping gas), followed by an ass move (splashing people), followed by possible murder attempt…
I don’t even know how to react to this.

6 Likes

Yup. Busted wide open. They had a hard time even using a big piece of glass and some dirty silk generating enough of a zap to start the gas on fire. Cellphones don’t ignite gasoline fumes. Unless something catastrophic like a punctured battery happens.

5 Likes

IIRC, the old 90s cell phones were the ones which carried a risk. The rule stayed even as the cell phones changed.

2 Likes

I stand corrected. I must have remembered that Mythbusters.

Static electricity can still be an issue, but the most danger is over reacting and removing the hose while still pumping, creating a mini flame thrower.

4 Likes

The scenario is more plausible(if still pretty low on the list of risks) if you are talking about old school hardware.

Some tightly sealed all-teeny-silicon-bits device with a low voltage Li-ion permanently soldered in? Not going to spark.

Somebody plugging the giant lead acid battery pack into his classic Motorola carphone brick? 12v is a bit low for contact sparking; but I wouldn’t necessarily bet against it if 3rd degree burns were a possible outcome.

3 Likes

Really? Because I think it makes the person look more guilty. But I guess this is why jurors generally don’t see booking photos.

6 Likes

That makes sense now.

IMHO, the oddest thing about the whole ‘cellphone starting a fire’ thing surely is that in any situation where there’s enough fuel vapour to make that a plausible risk, wouldn’t the electronics in the cars or pumps themselves be far greater ignition risks?

3 Likes

Well crap. Maybe I was thinking of inflammable.

:wink:

2 Likes

To be pedantic, the end of a lit cigarette is not an open flame, it is an ember. It’s even less likely to start a gasoline fire. Having said that, smoking while refueling is still an incredibly stupid thing to do.

5 Likes
17 Likes