Snap CEO's strategy to save the ailing start-up? Togetherness

Originally published at: Snap CEO's strategy to save the ailing start-up? Togetherness | Boing Boing

1 Like

The New-Age version of “but we’re really a family” line of BS.

16 Likes

CEO, “We’re all a family.”
Staff, “You are three-times divorced.”

15 Likes

What is snap?

EDIT: Oh evidently we are talking about Snap Chat. Got it

5 Likes

Apparently, they’ve got the power.

7 Likes

Snap in August: “20% of you are fired. Get out.”
Snap in November: “We’re a family! Get in here!”

11 Likes

I’ve never met anyone who worked fewer hours, were out of the office more often and wasted more of the T&E budget on zero-ROI prospects than C-suite clowns like this.

13 Likes

“collective success” = more money for me, not you

12 Likes

I don’t really use Snapchat but i have it on my phone. My significant other though uses it more often, even going as far as using the camera function on it as her go-to when taking pics. So whenever we’re somewhere interesting looking i’m the one taking pictures on her phone and i have to say the camera functionality of the app is atrocious, it really prioritizes you to take one picture at a time, and manually decide if you want to save it or not which sucks for instances where you might want to take a lot of pictures quickly and might not get another chance to capture the thing you want to capture. I’ve complained about this to my SO and i think she finally understood my complaint about using the app for photography when we went out on a date night recently. If i get the chance i generally just use the default camera app on my phone and works as i want it to.

The overall app experience is also really clunky, i find the UI and general aesthetics of it to be boring and poorly thought out. To me it doesn’t impact me at all if the app fails or not but i do think think they could be doing a better job with it, though my thoughts on it are of someone that uses the app like once a year, if at all. Others might have better opinions.

4 Likes

7 Likes

The whiplash going on in Silicon Valley tech companies right now is staggering. Six months ago they were throwing all kinds of incentives, perks and bonuses to retain and obtain talent and unrestricted WFH policies were considered de rigueur.

Now we can all see that it was just a facade cloaking their true, post-capitalist psychopathic roots. I’ve been in the industry for 25 years and have never seen such a sudden behavioral shift. Absolutely incredible to both witness and experience firsthand.

8 Likes

Yeah, this is desperation move by a company that sees it’s GROWTH - not it’s overall profits, just the GROWTH in profits - slowing. And follows them laying off a bunch of folks a few months ago to “prep” for a recession (which isn’t likely to come except for all these dipshits “prepping” for it).

This won’t salvage their growth. At all. And it will cost them good workers because fuck going back to the office to do work that can be done just as easily remotely. There’s zero culture that occurs in person, no random brainstorming accidents happening in the bathroom stalls or during their liquid lunches. That’s just wishful thinking and old school corporate “if we’re not watching them like hawks, they’re probably slacking.”

13 Likes

Snap isn’t about those of us over 20 (or 50). It’s about the kids, my teens use it by default, probably to reduce parental oversight.

There is a quality of shared workspace that facilitates creativity and spontaneous innovation. That said, there is a quality of working from home that facilitates a much better life.

My wife’s organization (of which she is the boss) has closed their office entirely in a complete shift to WFH. Among other things that means she is able to hire from a much broader pool and that has worked well. We also have a much better family life because neither of us are commuting or away from home all that much (I work in walking distance and usually go home for lunch).

6 Likes

Ah, the ever-effective Morale Suppression Initiative is getting reinvigorated…

6 Likes

There’s zero culture that occurs in person, no random brainstorming accidents happening in the bathroom stalls or during their liquid lunches. That’s just wishful thinking and old school corporate “if we’re not watching them like hawks, they’re probably slacking.”

Absolutely.

The only thing I’d add is that Facebook, Google, and Apple are pushing for return to office because they’ve literally spent billions on office space, right before the pandemic. These multibillion dollar aircraft hangers, circus tents, and donuts can’t be empty because that would a monument to their hubris, not their greatness!

6 Likes

I’d say that he’s making a spectacle of himself; but they introduced that product some time ago to at best ambiguous success.

1 Like

Well, if they have a company team-building firewalk, don’t go.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.