Snowboarder refuses to comply with ski resort’s mask policy, fights with security

Originally published at: Snowboarder refuses to comply with ski resort's mask policy, fights with security | Boing Boing

7 Likes

The rules are there because people are riding the chairlift shoulder-to-shoulder with others who may be complete strangers.

42 Likes

Also, the masks help keep you warm while you’re sitting motionless for 10-15 minutes!

The father is an ass.

31 Likes

Has a helmet on for protection against brain injury, but doesn’t have a brain to protect…

29 Likes

Such as waiting for an anti-masker to be restrained and carried off? But you’re right, skiers were wearing masks to protect their faces long before COVID.

Did he think that if he just managed to break free of security long enough to get to the chair and cry “SANCTUARY!”, the operator would be obliged to start the lift and whisk him away to freedom™?

24 Likes

Owning the Libs Lifts.

ETA: I swear, my dad has done a few stupid things in front of me during my lifetime, but never this stupid. :man_shrugging:

19 Likes

We visited a mostly empty Grand Canyon National Park at the beginning of this month when the windchill temperature dropped into the teens. I was never so happy to wear my KN95 mask at 7,000 ft elevation!

17 Likes

Mega tool, no question.

I do wonder about how much authority those hill security guards have to restrain him like that though. They stated he was “under arrest” which they can’t do. I think they handled it poorly and overstepped a fair bit, dog-piling him like that. They can order him to leave the premises and call the police, but are they entitled to do all that physical stuff? This is the kind of video that will further radicalize idiot trucker convoys.

Maybe he started the scuffle by manhandling them first though- you can’t really tell in the video. In which case the guards can probably defend themselves and restrain to some degree, but IANAL.

4 Likes

1st comment in the thread… :+1:

25 Likes

Having a snow board strapped to one foot make this all a little more comical.

11 Likes

I guess my sisters and I were privileged. Our parents were adults!

12 Likes

I hope that ass got a big bruise on its ass.

5 Likes

I like how the Canadians were registering their displeasure by yelling, “Eh!”

7 Likes

Emotion Reaction GIF

11 Likes

If he weren’t white, he’d be dead. I’m not sure what you expect when he’s violating the policy of the establishment and then refusing to leave when asked. Of course they’re going to arrest him. And they certainly went out of their way to do it without hurting him. He’s alive, which is much more than Amir Locke, Daunte Wright, Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, Tamir Rice, etc, etc, etc can say after THEIR encounters with the police…

They’ll do that anyway, even if we kowtowed to every single maskhole in the most polite way possible. Any requests for them to consider others will be treated as if it’s nazi germany… they are looking for excuses but they sure as fuck don’t need them.

11 Likes

And the habitrails that lead to those chairlifts, often forcing people into tight queue lines. Had that exact experience over the summer at Copper Mountain waiting in line for the alpine coaster - those in our group were the only ones with masks.

10 Likes

I was pretty sure the dog-pilers were bystanders, who wanted to help get the idiot out of the way and proceed with their day of boarding.

Also, as the (possibly) cameraman said: “I’d grab him by the legs” – looked to me like they could’ve dragged him off that way and it all would have been simpler.

2 Likes

camo

11 Likes

A chairlift is a dangerous machine and there are probably more than a hundred people dangling in air while this happened. I don’t know about this scenario, but at some point I hope security has the ability to be physical for other’s safety.

2 Likes

All they needed to do was step on his snow board and he wasn’t going anywhere. SMH.

1 Like