Socks for people who don't like socks

I get sunburnt on my feet.

I’m essentially a nevernude but for my feet. They must always have at least some level of armor, unless I’m in bed or in the shower.

3 Likes

when i was a preteen i didn’t always wear socks and my feet smelled horrendous. i quickly realized the issue and ever since im basically grossed out by the idea of wearing shoes without socks or even putting socks on again after wearing them for even part of a day. just wear socks peeps. gotta wick away that moisture and let them shoes dry to keep out the bacteria.

3 Likes

Ditto. Wish I could justify another pair of cozy slippers…

5 Likes

I don’t want to start some kind of religious war, but what’s wrong with socks?

4 Likes

As a boot-wearing fat old punk, I like Merino wool army socks year round. I did see some glorious cashmere hunting socks online for £70 a pair but I am not that fancy, sadly…

4 Likes

Nothing, if you’re any type of normal person.

But isn’t it fun to ‘argue’ over something less Earth-shattering than politics, war, and religion?

4 Likes

The current business trend (here anyway) is tight dress pants that stop short of the ankle and oxford shoes. Then pair them with invisible socks or some sort of stylish pattern sock. I think the kids look silly, but I’m old now.

I don’t understand the invisible socks. If the point is to look like you’re not wearing socks, it just advertises to me “Hey I have nasty swamp foot and I don’t care!” but fashion is fucking stupid.

1 Like

If someone could explain why I see college students doing this when there is snow on the ground, a great mystery would finally be solved. I can’t help wondering… Did both socks get lost in the wash? Are they trying to act as if their bodies doesn’t register cold temperatures? Do they have no natural fear of ankle biters? Is it a really dumb fashion statement?

2 Likes

You forgot one other possible explanation: they really don’t feel the cold as much as you or I.

Getting old has many downsides…she says as she prepares for yet another Chicago winter!

6 Likes

I don’t know about anyone else, and maybe this is TMI, but for me it’s a two-parter, possibly related. I come from multiple generations of hippie types, and we preferred as much contact and air flow as possible while retaining some degree of social acceptance. Since puberty something about the interaction of socks, leg hair and sweat leads my feet to become unbelievably itchy when socked, with hives that continue long after they are removed. I have scratched my ankles bloody in my sleep on many occasions recovering from a day in socks. It’s proportional to how tight and breathable they are, so regular dress socks I can’t wear at all, cotton athletic socks I can handle for a few hours, and certain brands of hiking socks are actually OK, just hot and increase my shoe size by about half. These bamboo socks are like $15/6-pack and are actually reasonably comfortable. I even wore them for a full week at the playa thing without issue. I’m not invested in anyone else’s sock choices, just excited to have found something that works- not least because it gets tiresome to get questions about why you’re wearing winter coats and sandals at the same time.

2 Likes

That could really be a dangerous condition to have, though. I went to school near Boston, and even people who don’t feel the cold can get frostbite. :cold_face:

3 Likes

Sounds like something worn by the royals. :wink:

I have these! Very warm, very comfy, and washable!
-but -
The sole wore through after 3 winters of wear. I stuck a pair of ballet-type stretchy slippers inside & they still work for occasional show-off wear.

2 Likes

I love socks. Half my Xmas wish list used to be things from Sock Dreams. Unfortunately, my feet and legs don’t love them anymore. Not because I’m an old hippie, but because fibromyalgia. All the threads, patterns, compression, elastic, etc hurt, so I’m always on the lookout for soft, comfy socks.

They’re currently one of my favorites, but durability isn’t great. I was gifted some fancy cashmere socks that feel great but require hand washing and start thinning at the heel after a bit.

I’ve put some of the bamboo socks on my wish list for Xmas. Thanks for the recommendation!

3 Likes

Much as I covet the Killer Bunny Slippers, it’s just as well they’re no longer available. Last winter I splurged on these Chewboccasins

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.