Someone invented a "Safe Space Desk” for school shootings

Most Republican voters aren’t rich. Certainly the ones puling the strings in the RNC are powerful, wealthy, and well-connected. The Republican base just isn’t interested in voting in their own self-interest when offered up a buffet of delicious propaganda. We can lament that maybe they shouldn’t bother voting if they can’t fact check the obvious lies they are fed. But actually changing how millions of people behave is going to be very hard.

2 Likes

Maybe we got it all wrong this whole time and the issue was all those other countries had bulletproof safe-desks all along?

6 Likes

11 Likes

Because fuck poor people, amiright? They are generally too stupid and irresponsible to own certain things. /s

In the thread about bullet-proof desks for school kids you want to advocate for easier gun ownership?

12 Likes

I didn’t advocate for easier gun ownership.

24 Likes

I had a feeling victims were somehow a tax write off.

12 Likes

Those are important issues, but many school shooters are not students[1]. It’s time to just admit that this is a sort of sport hunting we condone in the US and schools are just a convenient place for Patriots to bag their limit.

1. • K-12 school shootings in the U.S. by age of shooter 2020 | Statista
3 Likes

So it took this guy until 2018 to hear about school shootings?

3 Likes

Yeah I’m trying to picture the scenario where an act of bullying or sexual assault is happening, and getting under the desk (and closing the door) is a legit option.

5 Likes

#AmericaThings

6 Likes

Time was that the archetypical image of a school bully was someone who shoved other kids into lockers.

So now the proposed solution is “lock yourself in a small metal box before the bully has a chance to do it to you?”

14 Likes

"(W)ith handles that can only be opened from the inside…"

If I was the same child today as I was 30 years ago, the very first thing I’d do is lock my ass in one of these desks and force the administration to Jaws-of-Life me out.

There is a 0% chance that another child today won’t think of that exact same thing.

22 Likes

…The average Public School Teacher salary in Mississippi is $51,308 as of February 26, 2021, but the range typically falls between $44,791 and $59,234 .

Ok that is 28.5 “safety” desks : 1 year’s average salary for a Mississippi public school teacher.
Huh.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the national poverty rate was 10.5% percent or 34 million Americans in 2019. These states and territories have the highest percentages of poverty in the country: Puerto Rico, Mississippi, Louisiana, Kentucky, Arkansas, West Virginia, Alabama, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and South Carolina.

And:

In Mississippi, 55.8% of adults have guns at home.

And:

4 Likes

Less expensive = easier. Your move.

11 Likes

My exact 1st thought also.

And that of every teacher presented with this Houdini contraption, I suspect.

1 Like

Why solve the problem with sensible legislation when you could create jobs by masking the symptoms?!

6 Likes

John Oliver Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

4 Likes

First scenario: The shooter comes into the classroom, flips all the desks on their sides, tells the children to line up against the blackboard, and shoots them all.
Second scenario: The shooter buys 1,000 rounds of armor piercing ammunition, walks into the Safe Space Desk outfitted classroom and shoots through the door of every desk until blood seeps out under each SSD enclosure.
Piss poor solution.

1 Like