Someone will be sent to the hospital if this cat ever makes it out of this tinfoil-lined hallway

You’re missing this part:
giphy

7 Likes

Kiddo is home sick with some sort of viral crud today, so of course we had to try this on our cats. (Science, right?)
Two out of three didn’t give a damn, ambling across after a cursory inspection. The one who did care stepped on it, then launched himself over the rest of it.

7 Likes

tumblr_mcuz0uRATl1rkp1jco1_500

5 Likes

Not a very convincing experiment. But here’s a thing. We have a wood-burning stove, built into an old (1750s) fireplace. There’s a lot of space around the stove. Sometimes we line it with fuel wood, but not all the time. Our cat decided it was a good place to go potty. We did not agree (especially after the fire was lit). Someone suggested putting down aluminium foil in the hollow areas. It worked! Cat no longer uses the fireplace as a toilet. You can’t see the tinfoil from the room unless you stick your head past the fire. So there’s a place and a use for this information.

10 Likes

Agreed. I would further the experiment by covering the foil with fabric (+noise -visual) and then with plexiglass (+visual -noise).

I have no cat, though, so my results may not be suitable for publication. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

They don’t want to get trapped in the foil like that ghost cat.

5 Likes
10 Likes

Mine enjoys playing on brown packing paper in the boxes used to ship her kitty litter. She only plays with it until it stops making the crunchy noise when she jumps on it. Then it’s just boring paper to be ignored. After this experiment, I’ve lost all hope of finding the magical substance that will keep her from jumping on my bed in the middle of the night.

5 Likes

I really don’t want to be the guy who points out that “tin” doesn’t mean the same thing as “aluminum.” I’m not even a metallurgist.

2 Likes

Holy keyword salad there.

2 Likes

I had a cat who was obsessed with jumping into the fridge when it was open. Once I thought I’d close the door on him, but 10 minutes later he was still happy to sit there.

Said cat also had a panic response to the hair dryer. Solution - store the hair dryer in the fridge. The cat jumped in a few times, saw it and ran for its life. It did lead to some confused guests at times, wondering why we kept an appliance in the fridge.

14 Likes

Could the reflection be making the cat think it might be water?

6 Likes
1 Like

I once had a chance to train my cat to not jump on my bed. One day, I replaced my comforter. The first time he saw it, he hesitated, and looked at me for approval.

I have no guarantees that he would have ignored me had I NOT given the OK, but we’ll never know for sure.

3 Likes

If anything new or freshly laundered appears in my house, that brings on the kitty response I call “This doesn’t smell familiar.” After an initial hesitation, my cat will proceed to roll on the offending item repeatedly until enough hair and scent is deposited. That leads me to ask, “Why did I bother?” :smirk_cat:

5 Likes

Both of the Burmese we had acted all put out when we stripped the bed to clean the sheets.

5 Likes

My cat goes nuts. Like super-excited to the point where I wonder if there’s catnip in the detergent level of nuts. Especially if it’s the blanket that goes on the couch. It’s like he needs to make sure things are back where they belong.

5 Likes

This is why I’ve started to hate open houses. All of kitty’s things have to be hidden for several hours, and then put back exactly where they were…or bad things will happen. :pouting_cat:

3 Likes

Though she’s now long-gone :frowning: , we had a “cat burglar” in our house. Our kitty would steal any jewelry she found, and stash it in any one of several places around the house.

5 Likes

Aww, mine used to hide her toys like that. Now she’s a senior kitty who just started stashing pill pockets - with the pills still inside. I’ve watched videos on opening a cat’s mouth and inserting a pill, but I need all of my fingers for typing…and she knows where I sleep. :face_with_head_bandage:

3 Likes