Sony's next superhero movie looks to be another Morbius

Originally published at: Sony's next superhero movie looks to be another Morbius | Boing Boing

The dialog sounds like it was written by someone who’s never had a conversation with a real live human before.

7 Likes

The first movie with AI generated dialog?

4 Likes

Sad Invader Zim GIF

3 Likes

The thought crossed my mind.

ETA: But a human wrote this gem from Morbius, so it might not be AI: “It’s lethal to bats but deadly to humans.”

7 Likes

Sony is trying their damnest to connect their spidey efforts to Secret Wars. Well at least they had the sense to drop the project they had going with Bad Bunny.

1 Like

This is what happens when you use up all your Spider-Men in animated movies and none are left to fight the actual bad guys!

5 Likes

I hope she could save the piglet!

2 Likes

It doesn’t have Jared Leto - so it can’t be all that bad.

6 Likes

… I think I just lost a couple IQ points from reading that line. /silly

3 Likes

I dunno. It’s got Emma Roberts, Adam Scott, Jill Hennessy, Zosia Mamet, Mike Epps…

For that, I’d be willing to give it a shot on cable.

Still holding out for a Rhino movie with Paul Giamatti. That’s my idea of a good C-list movie.

8 Likes

Huh. I’ve never watched The Amazing Spider-Man 2 so I didn’t know that Paul Giamatti played that role. Certainly a departure from some of his other roles that I’m more familiar with.

4 Likes

In the comics, Madame Web was (originally) an old lady who basically saw the future and provided occasionally highly cryptic and generally useless (but super geek friendly) info to Spidey. In a big spider book crossover that is likely close to Across the Spider-Verse, she dies and one of the many spider women who aren’t Spider Woman instead takes over. While she’s slightly more active, she’s certainly not out saving the day. Spider-Man dominates his world…unlike some characters, everything tends to almost literally circulate around him unless they are heroes in their own right.

An entire catalog of Spider people to use and they pick Spider-Man’s astrologer? I would have preferred a movie just about daily life at the Daily Bugle. Think of it - 2 hours of J.K. Simmons. I’ll buy the ticket now.

6 Likes

Anyone who thinks it takes a heroic effort to fight off a guy with some mechanical arms should see what it takes to keep a major newspaper alive in the year 2023.

9 Likes

Sony’s decisions about their Spider-Man movies without Spider-Man certainly are… something. I suppose after doing movies about Spider-Man villains without Spider-Man existing in that universe*, doing a movie about Spider-Women without it actually being about them is less strange. They’re clearly riding the coat-tails of the animated movies in many ways, which makes it even stranger.

*The pinnacle being the unlikely team-up of villain and dark/anti- hero to fight Spider-Man just because, uh, no reason in particular. In a sense, Spider-Man absolutely exists in this alternate universe they’re setting up, but in negative form. Everything explicitly revolves around a Spider-Man-shaped void, but the characters themselves aren’t conscious of it. I keep half expecting they’ll announce an actual Spider-Man movie set in this universe, where some comic book shenanigans made them forget he existed, and all the characters will be slapping their head when he shows up, because now it all makes sense. Except I don’t think anyone involved at Sony is competent enough to have set it up.

Not going to lie, if it shows up on streaming (that I already subscribe to), I’d watch it, out of perverse curiosity if nothing else.

3 Likes

A Daily Bugle or Damage Control, Inc show could be the perfect sitcom type show. Just a parade of the most ridiculous characters from the comics, given all the seriousness they deserve.

3 Likes

He looks a little different from his character in The Holdovers (which is excellent).

I just realized if Thomas Haden Church and he were both in the Sinister Six, it’d be a Sideways reunion.

1 Like

I assumed this post would be about Kraven the Hunter, which looks pretty terrible too.

But if you make it through the trailer, you’ll see that they already have a new Rhino, sadly. I’m surprised he doesn’t make a joke about being “horny,” although that might be in the full movie…

My favorite version of Rhino is the one in which he reevaluated his life and sense of self-worth after a heart-to-heart with Squirrel Girl.

5 Likes

Well, if they make Alessandro Nivola the new Rhino, I guess I could live with that. He’s a decent actor. :man_shrugging:

Still, I think Giamatti has that element of frothy rage that few actors can match.

2 Likes